When will I start wearing a surgical or sports bra?

I had my implants removed and breast lift revised last Friday (today is wednesday) I still have my drains in and am wrapped in an ace bandage. I go to get my drains out tomorrow but I'm wondering how long I'll have to wear this bandage or will I be switched to a front closing cotton bra like the one I wore after my augmentation with lift?

No bras for one month

After breast implant removal I find no particular advantage to the use of surgical bras. In fact, I find that they can do more harm than good. They hold the skin too high, preventing them from dropping into position. In addition, they can put pressure on the healing breast or the wound. They provide no advantage. If the surgery was performed correctly, external appliances after surgery are unnecessary to achieve the appropriate final position. At one month we allow the patients to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire.  At two months, they can wear any bra with a wire without push up.  Before three months it is not wise to buy a whole new set of bras.  By six months, the bra size is not going to change.  You need to try bras on.  Being measured is almost never productive and almost always oversizes.  Find the ones that you like the way they fit.

Your doctor will let you know when you can change to a bra. Every doctor has his/her own opinion and protocol for bras after surgery. I let my patients change into a sports bra once the ace wrap is removed.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sports Bra

Check with your surgeon regarding his protocol for sports bras.   I usually have my patients in a sports bra or compression garment within a day after surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bandages after surgery

Good Afternoon and thank you for your question, There is no real standard, and each surgeon has a protocol for post op dressings. Once your surgeon removes the ace bandage, you can wear a surgical or sport bra without a problem. I recommend you to talk about this and other doubts that you have with him in your appointment tomorrow. 

Rafael Gottenger, MD