How long do I have to wear ace bandage?

Last Friday (sept 16) I had a breast lift and my implants removed. I am scheduled to get my drains out on Wednesday (sept 21). I am wondering how long I will have to wear this ace bandage as a bra? Will I change to wearing a cotton bra like I wore after getting the augmentation with lift? When I went for my post op today my breasts were a little "smashed" to the side, will this change?

No wraps or bras

After breast implant removal I find no particular advantage to the use of surgical bras. In fact, I find that they can do more harm than good. They hold the skin too high, preventing them from dropping into position. In addition, they can put pressure on the healing breast or the wound. They provide no advantage. If the surgery was performed correctly, external appliances after surgery are unnecessary to achieve the appropriate final position. At one month we allow the patients to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire.  At two months, they can wear any bra with a wire without push up.  Before three months it is not wise to buy a whole new set of bras.  By six months, the bra size is not going to change.  You need to try bras on.  Being measured is almost never productive and almost always oversizes.  Find the ones that you like the way they fit.

Post Op Recovery

I usually have my patients in a sports bra / compression garment within a day following surgery. Each surgeon has his own protocol based on the patients needs.  Contact your surgeon for his instructions.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Post op breast implant removal surgery concerns...

Thank you for the question but you will find that office "protocols" and parctices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another. Your plastic surgeon will be your only resource when it comes to specific response to your post op care questions.

Generally speaking, patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.