Smoking cigarettes after Liposuction?

How harmful is it to smoke cigarettes after liposuction? ( I had arms and midsection done 2 days ago) what exactly are the harmful effects? How does it affect healing?

Smoking after liposuction...

In general smoking before or after any surgery is not a good idea, so we require patients to stop two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine causes constriction of blood vessels, so less oxygen is brought to healing tissues, and that can result in delayed healing, infection, or even tissue loss. As always, speak with the surgeon who did your surgery and follow his preoperative and postoperative instructions.

Smoking cigarettes after Liposuction?

First of all, I recommend you quit smoking. It's bad for your health and will affect your skin/health in the long-term. There are many ways to quit smoking, so please do your research.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Smoking after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

Please, please, please stop smoking!
  • Smoking tobacco causes spasm of your arteries and tissue inflammation.
  • This cuts down oxygen and disrupts normal healing.
  • Your body needs oxygen and minimal inflammation to heal
  • And don't smoke anyway - it will kill you.
  • Speaking as an ex-smoker, I guarantee that you will destroy your looks including your skin with tobacco in ways that surgery can't fix.
  • Throw the cigarettes into the rubbish where they belong.and get healthy.
  • I want you to live a long healthy life - that is not possible if you are a smoker.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Smoking after liposuction

The nicotine in cigarettes interferes with healing.  It constricts blood vessels, which restricts the delivery of nutrients to the healing tissues.  The result can be slow or poor wound healing and infections.  It is best to check with your surgeon before resuming smoking as he/she knows the extent and details regarding your surgery.

Camille Cash, MD

Smoking after Liposuction

Thank you for your question. It is very important you stop smoking while your recovering. Smoking can slow down the recovery process. Nicotine causes the blood vessels to constrict which means they decrease in their size and blood flow thorough them drops off. Nicotine can also make the blood clot more easily which can further clog small blood vessels and capillaries. These effects are extremely serious because they decrease the blood supply to the tissues, can result in wounds not healing, and can result in some devastating complications. The best option is to quit smoking all together. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Smoking post operatively

Thank you for your question.  Smoking increases all of the risks associated with surgery including increased bleeding, bruising, delayed wound healing, scarring, risk of infection and potentially the need for additional procedures.  We strongly recommend quitting smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and not smoking for a minimum of 4 weeks post procedure.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Smoking cigarettes after Liposuction?

Smoking affects your healing process. I usually advise my patients who smoke to quite at least two weeks prior to the surgery and not smoking afterwards. Watch my video here for more info