After myomectomy over 2 years ago, I lost 40lbs through diet and exercise. Still have pooch in lower abdomen, will it ever go?

Will the pooch ever go away with diet and exercise only ? My upper body and shoulders and back has gotten nice and defined , m upper abs have some definition but can't seem to get rid of the pooch in lower abdomen which is also numb after the surgery. Considered lipo but afraid , it's getting frustrating cuz I work out really hard and eat really well , what am I missing ? I'm also a pear shape , 5'4 , 148 lbs early 30's

Hi. It would have been nice to have photos to go on. However, you will more than likely require a tummy tuck....regular or mini.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have been performing tummy tucks in the Miami area for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing tummy tucks and liposuctions. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications. Miami is filled with mom and pop cosmetic surgery clinics offering bargain basement prices. Buyer beware. Now that you are a mom, every decision that you make whether directly or indirectly affects your kids. Research, research and then research some more.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. I would encourage you to contact our office. Submit your photos and I'll work on them and give you an opinion to what is best in your case. I hope this information has been beneficial.

TT AFTER MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS

Congratulations on your weight loss and exercise regimen! Unfortunately, it sounds like you will need a little surgical help to achieve your final goal of a flat abdomen. Abdominoplasty is usually needed after major weight loss to correct stretched out skin and your previous scar can also be revised. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Congratulations on loosing weight through a healthy lifestyle! Unfortunately without photos- or the benefit of examining you - it's difficult to comment accurately re/what you'd benefit from. It sounds like your muscles might be stretched or separated which leads to the " pooch" formation. You might be a candidate for tummy tuck -- since your weight loss probably led to excess skin... Liposuction only addresses excess fat-- you might be candidate for that- but without examining you or at least seeing photos- it's a guess game..

Nikkitri tummy pooch

While I applaud your efforts (I am a triathlete as I believe you are), you should know that there are some issues that are NOT correctable with ANY amount of diet and exercise--namely "the pooch," which is very common after surgery like C-section, myomectomy, or hysterectomy.  This is simply NOT just a "fat" issue, which would be amenable to diet and exercise.  You really need to have an in person consultation with a BCPS for proper evaluation.   The good news is (although surgery is required) a flat and tight tummy can be achieved for the majority of women!! Feel free to contact for more information.  Good luck!

Loose lower abdomen after myomectomy

Thank you for asking about your myomectomy and lower abdomen shape.

Congratulations on your weight loss and exercise! Well done.
  • A myomectomy can stretch your lower abdominal muscles.
  • The surgery can also lead to fat deposits over the surgical area.
  • Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to find out if the problem is fat deposits which liposuction can remove or loose muscle that needs to be tightened.
  • Whatever the reason, this 'pooch' can definitely be taken care of!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

After myomectomy over 2 years ago, I lost 40lbs through diet and exercise. Still have pooch in lower abdomen, will it ever go?Af

Without posting a photo very difficult to respond to you. My guess is only surgery will help. Best to seek in person opinions. 

Pooch in lower abdomen, will it ever go?

I have to say that without pictures it is difficult to evaluate.  If this was done with a bikini type incision then you would probably benefit from a liposuction and scar revision.  Seek advice from a plastic surgeon or 2 to see what would work in your situation.

Lower abdomen

Without any photos it is hard to answer your question.  If the "pooch" as you describe it is mostly loose skin with a little fat, then chances are it will remain.  Do you notice it changing at all with your efforts? If you do, then it should continue to change, but it may not be at a rate you are happy with.  I would recommend a visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to learn about your options.  Best of luck.

Camille Cash, MD