Is It Possible That With Age, My Nose Is Growing Larger?

I'm a 24 year old female-- healthy and normal. But, I have been worried of late that my nose has gotten larger in the past few years. I was wondering if this is possible, or an issue of self image? Thank you.

Large nose

Noses do change with age.  Basically they lose support and become "longer"- the tips droop.  You are too young to be seeing these changes. I have seen 2 young women over the years with growth hormone abnormalities who presented for rhinoplasty.  As you state you are young and healthy so this wouldn't be your situation.  A consultation would be a good way to get an expert opinion and resolve your concerns.

Large nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The aging nose

Unfortunately our nose ages as we age.  Changes in the underlying bone and cartilage along with the overlying skin may create what is called a "long" nose.  Much of this is from the loss of tip support but other reasons may also exist.  This is a common reason people pursue rhinoplasty.  

The aging nose

Nasal changes with the aging process

Your nose does not grow once you become an adult. However, other factors can make the tip fall or appear longer such as the thickness of the nasal skin or the strength of your underlying cartilages. It has also been seen that constant nose rubbing from allergies might contribute to this weakness as well. Acne outbreaks can also thicken the skin and weight down the nose. A crooked nose can also make the cartilages more lax and alter the shape some with time. That being said in general the nose does not change much until you get to be a lot older.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal changes with the aging process

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Can Enlarge with Age

Patients frequently ask me if their nose will continue to grow as they get older.  The nose can appear to become bigger as patients age, however, it is unusual for the nose to actual grow after reaching adulthood. Rather, the support structures of the nose tend to loosen or weaken and the nose tip can droop, which makes the nose appear to look bigger. Additionally, changes in skin texture - and in particular skin thickening - can also make the nose look large as patients age.

Nose Can Enlarge with Age

Yes the nose can get larger over time, but the changes are very small and gradual in adults

Yes, the nose can get larger very gradually over time (you can google photos of Paul Newman as a young man and then as an old man and see the difference). Most women who see me for rhinoplasties have noses that are too big and they prefer a more feminine nose. But they do not wish to look like someone else or have a nose that looks like it has been operated on. At 24, any future changes in the size of your nose are going to be very small. You may wish to consider a rhinoplasty. Yes, the appearance of the nose is important to everyone's self image. I have attached a link to my website in case you wish to read more.

Nose getting larger

The nose can appear larger as we age because the tip can start becoming droopy and skin can become thicker and less elastic and all this gives an illusion of the nose being bigger. 

Regards

Dr. Janjua

Nose getting larger

Regards

Dr. Janjua

Age effects on the nose

Hello and thanks for the question. While the nose does not "grow" after early adulthood, it definitely does change because of the loss of soft tissue and skeletal mass in the face. The nose often becomes ptotic or "droopy" with age, the skin becomes thicker and internal changes with loss of mucous glands can lead to a constant watery or "drippy" nose. A consultation with a qualified rhinoplasty specialist will help elucidate what your concerns truly are. Good luck to you!

Age effects on the nose

Changes in nose shape with time

Thanks for your question. Every part of your body ages, including the nose. Although major changes in nasal shape are uncommon after puberty, it is not uncommon to see some drooping of the nasal tip and wrinkles in the skin.

Changes in nose shape with time

Nose grows with age.

Yes a nose will grow with age but not much at 24.  You can often reference your parents to watch a potentially similar  nose to yours to see how it ages.  

Nose grows with age.

Growth of nose with advancing age.

Your pretty young to notice this right now. I think the general consensus is that, unless you have an extreme metabolic disturbance, your nose structures

Growth of nose with advancing age.