Is It Possible That With Age, My Nose Is Growing Larger?

I'm a 24 year old female-- healthy and normal. But, I have been worried of late that my nose has gotten larger in the past few years. I was wondering if this is possible, or an issue of self image? Thank you.

Nasal changes with the aging process

Your nose does not grow once you become an adult. However, other factors can make the tip fall or appear longer such as the thickness of the nasal skin or the strength of your underlying cartilages. It has also been seen that constant nose rubbing from allergies might contribute to this weakness as well. Acne outbreaks can also thicken the skin and weight down the nose. A crooked nose can also make the cartilages more lax and alter the shape some with time. That being said in general the nose does not change much until you get to be a lot older.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose getting bigger with age?

Once you become an adult your nose no longer grows.  However your nose may appear to getting longer as it can slowly droop with time.  This has to do with ligaments and connective tissue weakening like it does everywhere else in the body. 

Rady Rahban, MD

Growing Nose

Although swelling of the nose can occur due to allergies and seasonal changes, it doesn't actually grow beyond the age of 16 in girls and 18 in boys. Rhinoplasty beyond these time points is safe as it will not affect nasal growth.

Nasal Growth at age 24

The nose stops growing at age 16 for girls and 18 for boys, so it is acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty at age 24

Is my nose continuing to grow?

Although the bones and cartilage do not continue to grow, the skin can continue to change as we age which can affect the perceived size. This is more commonly an issue in the elderly, but there are dermatologic conditions which can affect young people. I recommend obtaining a formal consultation.

Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Your Nose Stops Growing: But, size and shape can change.

The nose doesn’t continue to grow past the age of twenty.This doesn’t mean that changes in the size and the shape don’t occur as the nose ages.These changes are related to skin thickening, soft tissue laxity and the constant downward force of gravity.
Over the course of time, the nasal structures age in the same manner as other facial structures.With aging, facial and nasal soft tissue tends to sag and droop. This phenomena is often confused with continued nasal growth, but in the reality is part of normal facial aging.
If you’re concerned about the appearance of your nose, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Nasal Growth

As a 24 year-old woman, your nose has already reached maturity and is no
longer growing. Your nose may be appearing larger to you because of other
factors. With age, starting in our 20s, the ligaments that hold tip cartilage
together start to stretch. This can cause the tip to lose support and start to
droop or appear wider. This concern can be magnified by nasal trauma that
accelerates this loss of support. It can also be a self-image issue as you
mentioned if you are starting to focus your attention on your nose. In any
case, if you are uncomfortable with the way your nose looks, a rhinoplasty
may be a good option to consider. I would recommend consulting with a few
surgeons in your region to get a professional opinion on the matter.

Jason Litner, MD

Noses can change with age.

Typically noses stop growing in length by age 20, however there are many other ways a nose can change. The nasal skin can thicken and make your nose appear larger or the skin can thin making it look smaller. Many people notice that the tip of their nose droops with age.

Laurie Casas, MD

Nasal Growth with Age

The nose does not grow with age, but the nose will appear longer with time because of gravity  which affects our entire body as we do age. Although we do start to age immediately after puberty, this has nothing to do with your observations. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your nose.

Changes in the nose with age

The structures of the nose and the skin of the nose lose strength and the nose stretches out and sags downward.  This causes people to say that the nose "grows" with age. Nasal skin tends to lose its elasticity and thickness with the intrinsic (genetic) changes of aging and the extrinsic (smoking, sun damage, stress, etc) changes of aging that the rest of your skin undergoes.  The ligaments of the nose that hold the cartilage structure of the nose also lose their strength and the cartilage and bone lose structure.  The aging nose requires special consideration and skill during rhinoplasty, as the delicate structures need special care.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS