Is It Possible That With Age, My Nose Is Growing Larger?

I'm a 24 year old female-- healthy and normal. But, I have been worried of late that my nose has gotten larger in the past few years. I was wondering if this is possible, or an issue of self image? Thank you.

Large nose

Noses do change with age.  Basically they lose support and become "longer"- the tips droop.  You are too young to be seeing these changes. I have seen 2 young women over the years with growth hormone abnormalities who presented for rhinoplasty.  As you state you are young and healthy so this wouldn't be your situation.  A consultation would be a good way to get an expert opinion and resolve your concerns.

The aging nose

Unfortunately our nose ages as we age.  Changes in the underlying bone and cartilage along with the overlying skin may create what is called a "long" nose.  Much of this is from the loss of tip support but other reasons may also exist.  This is a common reason people pursue rhinoplasty.  

Noses can change with age.

Typically noses stop growing in length by age 20, however there are many other ways a nose can change. The nasal skin can thicken and make your nose appear larger or the skin can thin making it look smaller. Many people notice that the tip of their nose droops with age.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Nasal changes with the aging process

Your nose does not grow once you become an adult. However, other factors can make the tip fall or appear longer such as the thickness of the nasal skin or the strength of your underlying cartilages. It has also been seen that constant nose rubbing from allergies might contribute to this weakness as well. Acne outbreaks can also thicken the skin and weight down the nose. A crooked nose can also make the cartilages more lax and alter the shape some with time. That being said in general the nose does not change much until you get to be a lot older.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does The Nose Grow With Age

It is not your imagination; the cartilages of the nose do grow as you get older.  This growth is very slow but, it is there and may show itself as a more drooping tip, bigger bump, or more prominent tip cartilages.  Sometimes a minor imperfection that bothered you just a little in your early 20's becomes a much more significant deformity in your later 30' or early 40's. Aside from this normal, slow cartilage growth, even the hormonal changes seen in pregnancy can change the nasal cartilages enough that a small irregularity that you could previously live with becomes something you can no longer live with. Dr. B.  

Ramin Behmand, MD

Is my nose growing?

Certain parts of the body, such as muscles and bones will stop growing by adulthood , other areas in the body with cartilage do not stop.  Parts of the body can continually grow throughout your lifetime, for example the nose and the ears. Since you are young and healthy,  I would not anticipate that your nose has grown substantially larger since reaching adulthood.  A consultation with a Plastic Surgeon may be helpful.   Best of luck!

Growing nose a growing concern

Generally, the nose stops "growing" (true growth of tissues) by age 21.  However, skin can become more lax and the tip might droop as we age, making the nose look longer.  Occasionally, as skin thins, the underlying cartilage shape may become more noticeable on the surface of the nose.  Finally, skin conditions which thicken the skin, such as rosacea, may make the tip broader and bulkier.  A consultation with a facial plastic or plastic surgeon can help you determine the root of the problem and how best to address this.

Anthony P. Sclafani, MD

Does the nose grow larger with age?

Noses absolutely change with age. Loss of tip support (i.e., structure-providing cartilage) is often experienced due to aging and, as a result, the nose can sit lower on the face and look slightly longer. Other common changes that aging brings about: the skin on the nose may thicken and make the tip look more bulbous or it may thin, making the nose look slightly smaller and perhaps even more irregular in shape.

Many patients come to me later in life feeling that their nose has “taken over” their face over the years. This is often a result of a combination of the aforementioned changes taking place, but may also be due to volume loss occurring in other once-prominent features of the face.

Volume loss typically begins to happen at around age 30 (though it could be earlier or later depending on the patient), impacting, for example the cheeks, forehead and lips. As the rest of the face begins to flatten out, this may - and often does - make the nose look and feel more prominent.

The best course of action is to visit a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who can accurately assess the changes happening in your face and recommend the best treatments to combat them and restore balance to the face.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible with age that your nose is growing larger?

In short, no it’s not possible.  The bones and cartilage of your nose do not grow at all once you’re past your full boney growth, which may be as late as 21 years of age.  Having said that, the nose does change over time and it possible for it to droop or lower over time which may make it look larger.  Additionally, some people have disorders of the skin which can cause thickening and the appearance of growth, while in fact the underlying structure of the nose is not changing at all.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Yes, noses change shape over the years, mostly with the tip changes including lengthening.  Highly unlikely that this is your issue at your age.  Infections, trauma and some other issues may play a role.  One often overlooked issue that can change the nose shapes is oil production and entrapment.  This is a short and incomplete list, but some points to consider.  It may be best to do a formal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that does a great deal of rhinoplasty work.  Good luck.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS