Is It Possible That With Age, My Nose Is Growing Larger?

I'm a 24 year old female-- healthy and normal. But, I have been worried of late that my nose has gotten larger in the past few years. I was wondering if this is possible, or an issue of self image? Thank you.

Large nose

Noses do change with age.  Basically they lose support and become "longer"- the tips droop.  You are too young to be seeing these changes. I have seen 2 young women over the years with growth hormone abnormalities who presented for rhinoplasty.  As you state you are young and healthy so this wouldn't be your situation.  A consultation would be a good way to get an expert opinion and resolve your concerns.

The aging nose

Unfortunately our nose ages as we age.  Changes in the underlying bone and cartilage along with the overlying skin may create what is called a "long" nose.  Much of this is from the loss of tip support but other reasons may also exist.  This is a common reason people pursue rhinoplasty.  

Noses can change with age.

Typically noses stop growing in length by age 20, however there are many other ways a nose can change. The nasal skin can thicken and make your nose appear larger or the skin can thin making it look smaller. Many people notice that the tip of their nose droops with age.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Nasal changes with the aging process

Your nose does not grow once you become an adult. However, other factors can make the tip fall or appear longer such as the thickness of the nasal skin or the strength of your underlying cartilages. It has also been seen that constant nose rubbing from allergies might contribute to this weakness as well. Acne outbreaks can also thicken the skin and weight down the nose. A crooked nose can also make the cartilages more lax and alter the shape some with time. That being said in general the nose does not change much until you get to be a lot older.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gravity causes the nasal tip to droop, and may cause a longer nasal appearance with advanced age.

That said at the tender age of 24, gravity has not taken a significant effect on your nose and facial features. If you are dissatisfied with your nasal appearance, consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you can see what might be best for you.
Hope this helps.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

The nose does not grow once adulthood is reached

While the nose can “lengthen” due to the tip drooping with age, at 24 years old this is not likely to be the case. The nose does not continue to grow after you reach adulthood. If you are dissatisfied with your nose, please see a board-certified facial plastic surgeon for a consultation to see what options you have. I hope this helps.

Is it true? Does our nose grow longer with age?

Your nose doesn't actually grow longer with age.  This is an illusion which is caused by:

1.  The tip of the nose begins to droop due to the lip muscles pulling it down with each smile.  The bony framework that the nasal tip sits on begins to recede causing the tip to droop.  The first can be treated with a quick Botox injection and the latter with filler injections to restore the bony support.  This can also be addressed with surgical rhinoplasty.  At age 24, a tiny bit of Botox will do the trick.
2.  The rest of the face (cheeks , chin) become smaller with age as we lose bony support and fat with age.  This makes the nose appear longer and bigger.  This can be reversed with filler injections or surgery to restore natural volume to the face.
3.  The nasal skin can thicken due to oil gland hypertrophy.  Laser resurfacing can smooth down the skin restoring youthful skin texture to the nose.

In summary, the nose doesn't actually grow.  Its an illusion.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
Fellow American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose getting bigger with age?

Once you become an adult your nose no longer grows.  However your nose may appear to getting longer as it can slowly droop with time.  This has to do with ligaments and connective tissue weakening like it does everywhere else in the body. 

Rady Rahban, MD

Growing Nose

Although swelling of the nose can occur due to allergies and seasonal changes, it doesn't actually grow beyond the age of 16 in girls and 18 in boys. Rhinoplasty beyond these time points is safe as it will not affect nasal growth.

Nasal Growth at age 24

The nose stops growing at age 16 for girls and 18 for boys, so it is acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty at age 24