Bleeding post op- bleeding and leaking in abdomen. Is this a risk for infection? Is this normal? Anyone else have this happen?

Just had bbl surgery today. I have on a garment with absorbing pads underneath.As soon as I got home I noticed I was soaked & leaking blood.I called dr & he said its normal.It's now 6hrs later & when I get up I'm still leaking,leaving blood on the absorbent pad I put down & if I touch garment still soaked, & I get dizzy.Also, just started my period.I Already asked my dr but want 2nd opinion.Dr told me not to take garment off & leave the soaked gauze in place so incisions could clot until 5th day

Contact your treating physician.

Hello; if you had surgery today; its recommended that you communicate any doubt to your treating phisician and follow his/her indication during immediate postoperative time.

Regards.

Bleeding After BBL & Abdominal Liposuction?

Many surgeons leave the incisions open after they do liposculpting of a body area.  The combination of the fluid used during the surgery and some blood causes a lot of blood stained leakage after surgery.  Typically this is normal, though, if there are also clots in the drainage i get more concerned.  Stay in touch with your surgeon over these concerns, as I am sure his or her experience will help reassure you in your care.

John Millard, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

It's normal to have the incisions stay open after a liposuction procedure in order for the tumescent fluid to egress out with time. It you have frank bleeding seek help immediately. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon