Is it normal to get severe burning and red marks and blistering from cool sculpting? (photo)

Burning and red marks after coolsculpting.

Coolsculpting is very safe when it is done correctly. From looking at your photo it seems that they did not apply the gel pad correctly. The importance of the gel pad applied correctly is that it protects your skin from a freeze burn. You should have this looked by a doctor to prevent any scarring.

Last contacted 1 hour ago

This is not typical of a CoolSculpting treatment and I would consider it a complication. Hopefully you won't have any long term effects from this. This can occur if the gel pad is not in the proper position and the applicator comes in direct contact with the skin.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 3 hours ago

Is it normal to get severe burning and red marks and blistering from cool sculpting?

Thank you for your question and photos. This is a very abnormal response to Coolsculpting. I would recommend returning to the office where you were treated to discuss post treatment care. Bruising, swelling and redness are common although this looks like the treatment may have not been performed with the proper protocol. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 5 hours ago

Burning after Cool Sculpting

In my experience with the use of Cool Sculpting with my patients, I've never seen any case of burning at all. In general, a gel pad should be properly placed to cover the whole area that will be treated with cool sculpting to protect the skin as mentioned by Dr. Pilest. Typically, after the treatment, our patients' feel tightness or numbness around the area which lasts for about a week or two, while some experience bruising and a little swelling which also resolves in a few days.
It will be best to see your doctor again for a follow up check up.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 5 days ago

Post Coolsculpting Treatment

The Coolsculpting technology is very safe when done correctly. It is important that a CoolGel pad was used on the skin before the Coolsculpting applicator was applied. That pad is designed to protect the skin during the treatment process. Typical side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling and numbness to the area treated. These concerns generally will resolve themselves 1-2 weeks after treatment. In my office I have never experienced “burning” or “blistering”. It is best for you to contact the office where the procedure was performed for aftercare recommendations.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 4 hours ago

Burning from CoolSculpting

I have never know of a patient to get a burn after CoolSculpting this is not typical. See your doctor immediately if you feel like you have a concern.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 6 hours ago

Red and blistering after CoolSculpting

I would say that it is not normal to have extreme redness and blistering after a CoolSculpting procedure, but it is possible.  I have seen different degrees of redness on different people after CoolSculpting and sometimes people do get more red than others. This discoloration should go away completely over time.  I have not seen blistering before but would think this would resolve completely as well.  Be sure to have your progress monitored by your doctor to make sure your issues are improving.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 2 days ago