7 days post-op upper bleph incision dehiscence shortly after Steri-Strips removal (Photo)

7 days post-op after Steri-Strips removal (ABSORBABLE sutures) I immediately discovered ~3/8" incision dehisence. Prior to this, recovery was easy and uneventful. My surgeon will put in a stitch today to correct. How common is this, and what can I expect in terms of scar prognosis? Also, how well do lumps and textures around upper lid incision resolve? For reference, I'm 53, non-smoker, healthy, fit, with very good skin texture. I also had trans-conjunctival lower bleph done same day. Thank you.

My eyelid sutures have opened up. What do I need to do?

Sorry to see you go through this ordeal. I don't use absorbable sutures because they can cause some reaction during the healing process. The good news is that the eyelids heal very well in general and in the long run the results would be just fine. It is not necessary to repair the dehiscence because with all the inflammation present it would not make a difference. At this time you just need some TLC and hand holding as well as reassurance that thing will be ok or if not it can be taken care of. Good luck. 

Wound dehisence after blepahropalsty

Don't worry! This will almost certainly look unacceptable for several days or perhaps a few weeks, but it will also almost certainly heal just fine. Unfortunately these things happen with all surgeons. The fine-tuning part of healing takes a year or greater. If you are left with lumps or bumps in the area, your surgeon will be able to excise them. But I would strongly advise against any scar revision for at least nine months as it is so likely to heal well on its own.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Problems after blepharoplasty

I've seen this several times over the years, and they all heal great. Most will just take a couple weeks to fully heal, and the scar usually looks great and no further treatment is necessary. Occasionally a steroid injection may be needed to help soften a firm scar. Continue to have close follow ups with your surgeon.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

These are not uncommon.

Generally a wound dehiscence has nothing to do with the surgical technique with the exception of perhaps when a laser is used to make the skin incision.  Perhaps surprisingly  these heal beautifully with conservative support.  I actually do not agree with your surgeons plan to suture this together.  Generally there is some type of inflammatory process that is causing the wound separation and it is often best to let this heal by secondary intention (no more sutures) and repair at a later date, the wound if it is not satisfactory.  Please let us know how things go.

Wound dehiscence 1 week after upper blepharoplasty

In general, skin on the upper eyelids heals very well, so I would not expect you to have any serious issue with the dehiscence of your upper eyelid incision a week after your procedure.  It sounds as if your surgeon is taking appropriate steps to aid in the healing of your wound and I would continue to follow his or her advice.  In my opinion, your ultimate result should not be affected by this issue.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision Dehiscence

Hello! Thank you for your question, you should know that these things can happen during the post-op period, if does, can be repaired with surgical or non- surgical measures, an option can be what your surgeon is suggesting  or you could wait a few weeks and let it heal. I don’t think this is going to affect the scar prognosis and even though you may feel disappointed right now, I think your going to be just fine.

Rafael Gottenger, MD