I am a cheerleader and I'm going on accutane soon and we are constantly in the sun. How can I protect my skin?

So I'm going on accutane in about 3-4 days and summer is in 2 months. We have practice 4 days a week in the middle of the day and we are almost always in the sun and I don't burn that easily but it will be worse on this drug and when it comes time to football season it's 2 hours in the sun and even when I use sunscreen I still get burnt any ideas or advice you can give me for practice or games in the sun? Thank you! And how possible is it too tan?

Accutane and sun protection

It is true that Accutane will make any person sun sensitive even if they never burned easily before. I will have to suggest that it may be a good idea to start Accutane after football season. Especially since you practice 4 days out of the week in midday, when the sun is the strongest. The last thing you will want at this time to get sunburn. Always remember to apply sunblock cream 30 and above.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Accutane and Sun Protection -- Heliocare

I suggest appropriate sun protection and taking the supplement heliocare.  I think you should see a dermatologist with experience in treating athletes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sun protection while on accutane

Sun protection is a must when being treated with accutane. Please use the sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection and the SPF of at least 30. Best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon