What went wrong with my blepharoplasty & how can I fix it? I don't look better than I did before. I look worse! (Photos)

I had an upper blepharoplasty over 1 year ago- closer to 2 years. Supposedly only skin was removed. I don't understand why my eyelids look worse than before I had it done. The doctor thinks he did a great job & claims my lids were assymetrical prior to surgery. As you can see in his own pre op photos, that's not true. I regret doing this & am deeply distrustful now. I don't want to go under the knife again but realize I may have to. Can someone tell me what happened here & what I could do?

Ptosis after blepharoplasty ?

You have mild upper eyelid ptosis, worse in left eye. Not sure if prior surgery had anything to do it. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Appearance after upper blepharoplasty

In one of the photos, you have ptosis of one lid making this eye appear smaller. This is less apparent on the other photo. Also, before surgery, this does not show. 

It is extremely rare that an upper blepharoplasty causes this problem; rather it can unmask it or make it worse. In addition, your lids show volume loss. Therefore, I would strongly advise against further skin removal. Instead, filling (using your fat or fillers) will make the lids appear softer and more youthful.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have developed upper eyelid ptosis as a result of your surgery.

It is a very common problem.  Your surgeon did not necessarily cause this but it is not helpful to be told you look marvelous when you know you have a problem.  I have developed a surgery to correct this type of issue.  Essentially, the tendon in the eyelid is separating internally in the eyelid.  This needs to be corrected and the eyelid platform needs support.  Generally, there is commonly lash ptosis as an associated feature of what is going on.  The heavy upper eyelid makes the eye look dull and sleepy.  This is fixable.