Does Voluma really last two years on cheeks? Are you able to achieve a softer look in the submalar area with one syringe each?

i had fat grafting but the results are not dramatic, so i anticipate doing voluma on the submalar area at the three month mark. are you able to achieve a softer look in the submalar area with on syringe each. how long will it last.

#Voluma

Voluma is my new go-to filler for patients that need lift and volume for the mid and lateral cheek area.  Because of a different cross-linking technology, with cross-links between molecules of varying sizes, it has more lift than any other filler, so is really great for patients who have lost volume (and who that we treat hasn't?). It feels firmer than other fillers immediately after injection and for a few days after, but provides a very natural look because it allows us to recreate the former "Ogee curves" of the face.  It is also important, in trying to provide a soft and natural look for a patient, to utilize phi calipers to help to keep the facial proportions as close to the golden ratio of 1:1.618 as possible.

The studies performed prior to FDA approval showed a two-year longevity, but at the Cosmetic Boot camp for advanced injectors in Aspen last month, many physicians involved in the stuides, who have therefore had the opportunity to follow patients for more than two years, felt that it can last even longer than that and were seeing correction even at three years.

In my experience, when placed carefully one syringe is sufficient for a significant correction. We often inject more than one type of filler at a session because different fillers are appropriate for different indications.

Voluma duration is not 2 years

I have just studied Voluma vs Restylane Lyft in a "Cheek Challenge". My findings at one year was that there was minimal (10% or less) correction at 12 months on either side. I used 3cc on both sides, so this was cosistent with the median number of syringes used in the study. I just don't think HA fillers last much longer than 12 months. It has a very low G prime as well, so it's lifting ability is lower than Restylane, and much lower than Lyft. See link for video.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Voluma adds volume to submalar area; Consider sculptra

Voluma is a great product for the mid face.  I routinely choose Voluma for augmenting and lifting cheeks.  As well, it softens submalar hollows, but depending on the amount of correction, it can take a lot of voluma to soften those submalar hollows.  

For pronounced submalar hollows in thin faces, I often use sculptra.  Sculptra's effect is a softer, more gradual, lifting effect.

There are studies to show that voluma should last 2 years.  The real question is how long before you will desire a touchup.  That really depends on how quickly you are aging.  The amount of time it takes before a 25 year old needs a touchup is much longer than the amount of time before a 60 year old needs a touchup.  

If you go to an experienced injector, s/he will be able to explain what products will be the best for your particular situation.  

Voluma to cheeks

All patients in the Voluma FDA study had multiple syringes injected. Most also had more added at a 3 month follow-up. Each patient is unique so the number of syringes needed for full correction will always differ. However, I do like Voluma in the cheeks and think it has a nice lifting effect and a good smoothness to it. I think it looks full and natural. I will not use Sculptra as I have had to fix too many patients with issues from it. I think it is not the best choice and there is no counter product to it should you have issues with it. HA fillers are always superior to me because they last, look good, and are reversible if any issues occur.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Voluma in the cheeks.

Thank you for your question. Voluma is an excellent choice for adding volume to the midface area. Voluma can last approx. 2 years and sometimes even longer. You will require an in person examination to determine the amount of product right for the desired outcome.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Voluma last two years

Voluma is an excellent choice for enhancing the malar ridges and mid portion of the face. There are studies that shows the duration effect to be up to two years in this long lasting non permanent filler. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma can last "up to" two years in the cheeks with full correction.

Voluma is now the number one choice for volume correction to the mid face area. The average patient uses about one syringe per cheek but we may need more or less depending on the severity of volume loss and several other factors such as skin thinness, other fillers being used, and goals. I really recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist experienced specifically with Voluma for the best advice, since everyone is different.

Fat grafting can have long term effects that are not evident in the first few months, so I recommend considering waiting at least 6 to 9 months before adding any Voluma to the same areas. Speak with the surgeon that did your fat grafting for advice.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Voluma - Long Lasting Volumizing Facial Filler

Voluma was FDA cleared for mid face volumization based on studies where patients were seen to have results lasting 2 years and beyond.  However, the amounts of Voluma put in each side of the face were quite large and not commonly done in practice today.  Those patients were getting up to 8 - 10 cc of Voluma.  I rarely do more than 1 - 1 1/2 cc per side for total of 3 - 4 cc max.  It is not know if doing smaller amounts will result in slightly shorter duration of action.  I think it is safe to think it will last somewhere between 12 - 18 months.  Patients have been maintaining their volume correction with touch up syringes at 6 - 12 months after their initial injection session with a single syringe in my practice.  This also helps keep the cost down by not requiring a huge amount of volume all at once.  1 syringe every 6 - 12 months is much more affordable for most patients.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheeks

Voluma is the leading product for mid facelift and volume correct. The norm is 1 syringe on either cheek, but more may be needed depending on the degree of correction needed.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Voluma to midface and submalar region

You can have Voluma injected into the submalar and midfacial zones of the face after fat grafting. Its certainly a more reliable filler than fat grafting, but does not have some of the benefits that fat grafting offers (improvement of overlying skin appearance etc)