Will Voluma injections be compressed by sleeping on the side of the face?

Juvederm Voluma and compression

No, Voluma is placed deeply, and the pressure from sleeping will not cause any problems. Certainly if a lot of pressure is placed in more fluid fillers such as Restylane or Volbella, then compression can occur within the first few days of treatment. For Voluma injections placed in the correct plane, all ok!Dr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

How should I sleep after Voluma?

Hi,Great question!  Voluma is placed fairly deep but there is still several days after placement where it can be compressed with pressure.  I ask that my patients sleep flat with pillows to bolster their sides for the first two days after Voluma placement.
Warmly,Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Possible but not likely.

It is possible to mold the voluma after initial injection, but only for short periods of time. try to sleep on your back the first night, and then beyond that you should be fine.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Voluma

I agree with Dr. Weber. Even though Voluma is not that moldable after injection, experience has shown me that it can still be compressed somewhat with pressure for the first few days.  I thus ask all my Voluma patients to not sleep on their side for two to  three days so as not to compress the results and the youthful contours that we so carefully achieved. By having 2-3 pillows, that helps prevent swelling but also makes it easier to stay on one's back and not turn to one's side.

Hope this is useful, 

Dr. Anna Petropoulos
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Boston's North Shore

Anna Petropoulos, MD, FRCS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Compressing Voluma

After injection there is a short period of time that Voluma can be molded, even that is a very slight amount. Doubt that you can reshape Voluma by sleeping on it after the first night. It is relatively thick and is meant to be injected deep in the tissues.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

This is very unlikely to happen after Voluma injections. The product is slightly moldable during the first 2-3 days after injection and then becomes well integrated. Even during that early period it is difficult to move the product around to any appreciable degree. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Because of Voluma's gel thickness it is unlikely to be compressed or displaced to affect your outcome after a couple of hours from treatment.  On the night of treatment I normally ask patients to sleep with their head upright using a couple of extra pillows behind their back to minimize swelling.  Hope this helps.

Voluma Results and Un-happiness , Can Be Reversed with Hyaluronidase

If you are unhappy you can add more or reverse the filler.  Sleeping on one side will not affect the long term outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sleeping after Voluma injections

After your voluma injection, a facial filler injected at the deepest level, you are unlikely to change the shape of your outcome by sleeping on your face. 

Your doctor may give you Post-procedure instructions that include sleeping upright or off of your face. Some of these precautions may not necessarily be based on science. Your doctor just wants you to be careful. These instructions are to give you a level of awareness and the best chance at a good outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Injections

Voluma injections are performed deeply and should not be affected by sleeping.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green