How to improve breast sensitivity, stop numbness in the nipple and make the area below it feel touch and changes in temperature?

I went for a breast augmentation -2011(implants over the pectoral muscle/inframammary incision. I felt numbness under the nipple area and loss of sensitivity. After 1 year, no changes. I decided in 2015 to have the implants removed, but the surgeon ended up putting a smaller one not to make big scars or have a saggy breast. my scar is bigger now. I am looking on how to improve sensitivity (stop numbness in the nipple and area below it to feel the touch and changes in temperature.

See A Sensory Nerve Expert

Hi there!
Altered sensation in the nipple and areola is fairly common after breast augmentation. Some women have increased and some have decreased sensation. Many women will experience a return of normal sensory function with time. There are some women who have a delayed return of sensory function in the nipple and areola after breast augmentation and unfortunately, some women never regain sensation. Since so much time has passed it may be useful to see a sensory nerve expert to discuss your concerns. Good luck & hope this is helpful!

Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Nerve Restoration Post Op

Your nerves which are related to sensation in this area may have been damaged or cut during surgery and while sensation often returns within 6 months to one year, if a year passes it is likely that you will not regain more nerve function. I recommend that you discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Loss of sensation not likely to improve 5 years following breast augmentation

The nerves giving sensory innervation travel on the external (lateral) border of the breast.  These nerves are not easily seen and often suffer a stretch injury during breast augmentation from the pocket dissection and implant placement.  In the vast majority of patients, the nerves are intact but "stunned" (medically termed neuropraxia) and sensation returns to normal.  This sensation usually returns within 3 months but may require up to 18 months.  Persisting loss of sensation beyond 18 months suggests that the nerves have sustained a greater degree of injury with resulting permanent residual sensory loss.  Regrettably, implant downsizing / removal  are unlikely to alter the state of the nerve damage after your primary breast augmentation.  It would be worthwhile to discuss this prognosis in greater detail with your plastic surgeon.  Wishing you well.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon