Why does my lip filler disappear so soon? (photos)

Hi, I have been having my lips filled for the last 7/8 years and it always absorbs within 4-6 weeks. I started off getting juvaderm smile once every 6 months then tried teosyal kiss from a different nurse, I moved to a different nurse again started having 1ml juvaderm ultra every 12 weeks, I moved to my currrent nurse, she has since tried juvaderm ultra, smile, volift, volebella, teosyal kiss and one which she just said was a thicker rha, I get 1 or 2ml each time and get them done 8/12 weeks

Lip Filler

In some people, filler can metabolise quicker than in others and you may experience the 'swelling' (which some people prefer the look of) for longer. For you it seems as though the filler metabolises much quicker but I would try to avoid getting them re-done any sooner than three months prior to your last treatment. Have you tried Restylane - this could last a little longer than Juvederm?

Why does lip filler not last?

Thank you for asking about your lip filler.

Your lip filler is not lasting because your body is dissolving it faster than most people do. The only alternative is to have a permanent lip implant although these will not give as much fullness as 2 syringes of filler.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Why does my lip filler disappear so soon?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is equal or slightly larger than your lower lip. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. If dermal fillers don't last, the lips can be augmented using a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more of a reliable volume for lip augmentation than permanent fillers or fat injections that are associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Lip filler

You may have a high metabolism. Those who are very active in sports, cross fit and long distance running, do appear to absorb their filler at a faster rate. You might want to consider a fat transfer to your lips. Remember, initially there is swelling, so please compare your lips to your before filler photos, not after filler photos.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Some patients lip fillers last longer than others. My recommendation is if you like the results, but want something longer lasting you should consider Juvederm.  Please see a board certified dermatologist who specializes in lip augmentation for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green 

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Perlane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

Most people think the filler doesn't last as long because the lips get very swollen after injection.  If you truly feel the results are not long lasting and you have compared before and after photos, then I would consider other options such as fat or a lip implant (although I tend to not like how implants look). Other fillers such as Perlane and Voluma, although typically used in the middle face, work very well in the lip in patients like you whom Restylane and Juvederm Ultra/Ultra plus just didn't seem to last. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip filler not lasting

There are some people that metabolize their lip filler faster than others. I would do what you are doing and try different fillers. My experience is that they all last about the same amount of time. Usually, with time, collagen builds up and there is prolonged longevity.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Based on all the fillers you have used to maintain your lip fullness it appears you are one of those individuals that quickly metabolizes hyaluronic acid.  Though you can try Voluma or Juvederm Ultra Plus you will likely have similar absorption time frames that you will need to work around.  Hope this helps.