Silicone implant in nose shifting?

I had a revision rhinoplasty 5 months ago and my surgeon put a silicone implant in to raise my bridge. Ever since, it has been loose on my nose (I can move it side to side, and not just a little) and it has started to shift to the left and raise on the right. My nose is also discolored (small, red blood vessels) and it actually feels tight on my nose even though I can move the implant around. What's going on here and what are my options? Do I have it removed and replaced with something else?

Shifting nasal implant

Hi,

The reason why the implant is crooked and shifting is because it was not put in right and probably wasn’t secured with a stitch. When silicone implants are not placed correctly they can shift, extrude and become infected, they can also cause pollybeak deformities and bulbous tips. My best advice is to have the implant removed or repositioned and secured so it doesn’t move anymore. Using this implant requires a lot of skill and experience. Once you are ready for a revision, make sure your surgeon knows how to work with nasal implants and you’ll get great results. I have several revision case studies on my website addressing this exact issue… see the website below. 

Dr. S

Asymmetrical result after a rhinoplasty with a silicone implant.

DD710 Based on your description, it sounds as if your silicone implant was not placed intimately over the nasal bone (subperiosteal) since it is mobile and able to be shifted from side to side.  Additionally, since the nose is starting to look crooked and the implant no longer lies in the midline, It sounds as if your silicone implant is becoming encapsulated-another words the collagen capsule that is formed by your body in response to this silicone prosthesis, is shrinking to a point  where it is smaller than the actual implant itself. Consequently the implant gets shifted in random directions, which is  exacerbated  by the fact that the implant was mobile in the first placeby being placed above the periosteum of the bone.  A revision rhinoplasty, perhaps utilizing your own tissue would be in order.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS