Can Restylane or Botox give you high cheekbones?

Im 21 years old and was wondering if restalyn or botox can give me high cheekbones. Also will it cause my skin to sag when it runs out?

Restylane Can Give You high Cheekbones

Restylane Lyft can be used to create high and full cheekbones, which must be maintained with regular touch-ups – usually at the one- to two-year mark. Radiesse is also a good option for defining cheekbones. The amount of filler used is not sufficient to cause sagging after the filler has metabolized. Botox smoothes wrinkles. It cannot create cheekbones. Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist.

Juvederm Voluma® is widely considered the current gold standard treatment for enhancing/shaping/filling the cheeks. With around 2 decades of filler use worldwide, we are not seeing increased rates of skin sagging after filler use. Instead, most patients who have had filler treatments tend to have tighter skin in general, perhaps because the filler has been shown to promote skin collagen growth long-term.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Restylane and other fillers for higher cheekbones

Restylane, Juvederm and other fillers can be used to raise the cheekbones. Some people are born with low or flat cheekbones, while others lose it with weight loss or age. Your dermatologist can guide you as to which filler is appropriate based on your volume deficit and young age. Botox would not be used here, it is for dynamic wrinkles, typically of the forehead or around the eyes. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers yes

Botox is a muscle paralysis agent and so can only combat muscle activity. Empty cheeks or ill defined cheek bones cannot be helped this way. All filler products when placed deep to the cheek fat pads can enhance the cheek bones and so are ideal for what you are describing. My only caveat is that you are very young. 

Ask yourself if this is the way you want to go at 21. Your body and face shape may still be developing. save your money and concerns for later in life perhaps. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.  Botox weakens muscles that create unwanted lines and wrinkles but doesn't have the ability to add shape or volume.

Hope this helps.

Botox is not used to add volume

Adding volume to the cheeks can be very aesthetically pleasing if done by an expert who also takes into account facial balance and your overall bone structure etc.  I often prefer Sculptra or Radiesse, but for younger patients Voluma is an excellent product to shape and improve the cheek area.  It has been shown to last 2 years or longer.  Restylane Lyft can also be used for this purpose.  In my experience, no matter what product you use, maintaining the treatment yearly with a little product as needed works best and keeps you from losing the effect.  If you don't maintain it, fillers would wear off gradually and your skin will return to it's pre-treatment tone.   Make sure to seek out an injection specialist with extensive experience with these products.  Often cheek augmentation may also require that something be done under the eye area so it's not about just treating one area but about getting the best result, that looks entirely natural, is safe and long-lasting.  That may mean using a variety of products as needed over time.

I hope that helps.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello, and thanks for your question. I recommend VOluma for building your cheekbones. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

High cheekbones-- voluma

Voluma is the best for building cheekbones!! The skin will not sag after the product goes away--- if you allow that to happen. Good luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD

Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation With Injectable Volumizing Fillers Typically Yields An Immediate "Wow!" Response

Volumizing fillers are routinely used these days by advanced injectors to augment the cheekbones, increase projection, and enhance light reflection. Ordinary Restylane is best reserved for filling simple lines and wrinkles. Voluma XC would be a more appropriate choice and is the product I typically choose in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. . Another possible product for this purpose is Restylane Lyft. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of  regulatory agency approved volumizing fillers are available, I typically opt for Stylage XXL and Emervel Volume). All of the above are natura,l hyaluronic acid-based products, and as such are subject to the body's normal, metabolic degradative processes over time. The gradual dissolution and reabsorption of the material does not result in sagging, which is a consequence of the aging process itself and not the fillers and volumizing fillers used to combat it. Botox, like the other commercially available muscle relaxing agents, Dysport and Xeomin, are intended to relax the muscles of facial expression, such as those responsible for the development of crow's feet wrinkles around the eyes, forehead worry lines, and frown lines between the eyebrows. It is not intended to supply volume or projection. You would be well advised to seek consultation by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in the advanced uses of fillers for nonsurgical cheek augmentation. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Thanks for your query. Botox is botulinum toxin and is use to relax the muscle, so it is used for easing out the wrinkles like crows feet, frown lines etc whereas filler are hyaluronic acid which helps in contouring the face. High cheeck bones can be done using restylane. When it weans out it , it slowly flushes out leaving you where you started or a little better but it doesn’t cause your skin to sag. Hope it helps.
All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon