Will sleep position effect Restalyne placement?

I had restalyne injected under my eyes and in my cheeks yesterday. I accidentally moved in the middle of the night and woke up with my face in the pillow and I am very swollen. My lower eyelid is swollen to the point I cant see well. Will this have caused the filler to move or change the results in any way?

Sleep Position After Fillers

Thanks for your question! Your sleeping position should not have any effect on your Restylane results. It's likely that you are experiencing normal post-injection swelling. If you are concerned that the swelling seemsexcessive, I recommend scheduling a follow up appointment with your injecting physician. I always suggest that my patients take arnika (that can be found over the counter at most drug stores) which helps with swelling that can occur after being injected. Good luck!

Sleeping after filler treatment

There is always some swelling after filler treatments. Sometimes, the patient's position while sleeping can affect how this swelling is distributed. For example, for patients who sleep on one side on the night after treatment, the swelling can move more to that side. For these reasons, patients are sometimes nervous when they notice asymmetric swelling on the day after treatment. The reality is that no one really knows if or how much filler is displaced with a given amount of pressure applied to the treated area; the good news for you is that it would likely take a lot of pressure to move a filler that has been deeply placed. It is highly unlikely that you affected your result in this way. Hope this helps. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. Restylane is very deeply placed and it doesn’t move with sleeping with face down but it is advisable to sleep straight as this position is best for the face. Hope it helps.
All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question and we always recommend that you consult with and have these injections performed with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Moving in one’s sleep is normal and should have no impact on the outcome of the filler.  If there is a little swelling, as is normal after the injection, use ice to the area.  If it persists for more than several days, return to your provider to make sure everything is okay.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling from Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero) Go Slow, Use Cannulas -- Reverse with Hyaluronidase If Unhappy

Swelling is normal after fillers. Moving in your sleep is normal and shouldn't affect the filler placement. If swelling persists for more than a few more days, please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Restylane and face movement

Everyone moves during sleep and this will not affect the filler.  Most likely you just developed some swelling and bruising following the injection after a few hours. Use warm compresses and vitamin K or Arnica cream

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist