How long until I can drive after breast implant removal without replacement?

For a breast implant removal surgery I recommend patients do not drive a vehicle until they are at least 4 days out from surgery. If you are still taking any narcotic pain medication you can not operate a vehicle during this time. Consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon can give you further insight regarding this. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Breast implant removal recovery surgery is usually almost painless and associated with a faster return to activities compared to the breast augmentation procedure. The procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia depending on the circumstances of the specific patient. I ask my patients to return to driving once they are off all mind altering medications and can respond to an emergency safely; for most patients, after this type of surgery, driving resumes four to seven days after surgery. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast implant removal

It is best to wait until you are able to be off of pain medication before resuming driving.  The recovery for explantation only is fairly quick, so you can anticipate that you'll be able to drive a few days after surgery.  Best of luck!

Camille Cash, MD

Typically I would recommend that my patients wait a couple of days and discontinue all pain medication before driving after surgery. It is best to speak to your PS about his/her recommendations, as they can vary.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Implant Removal

Hi breastfreenow. If you had general anesthesia, it is necessary to wait 24 hours. If you are still taking narcotic pain medication during the day, you cannot drive. Best wishes.

Driving After Breast Augmentation

I recommend my patients to wait at least 48 hours before driving after surgery.  Consult with your surgeon for his recommendation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Driving After Implant Removal.

If my patients have implants removed under local anesthesia, they may drive themselves home. If anesthesia is required, then they must have someone drive them home and be with them for the first 24 hours.

Driving after surgery

I often will tell my patients to take a week or so off from driving after surgery.  You do not realize the energy expended and potential "jerking" motion that can lead to discomfort and risk bleeding episodes.

Thank you for your question.  This depends upon the involvement of the procedure.  For a patient who only needs to remove the implant, no capsule or other intervention one may resume normal activites including driving within 24 hours.  I would recommend discussing this with the surgeon performing the removal as the type of anesthesia and magnitude of the removal can have an impact as well.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Driving after breast surgery

Thank you for asking. I generally advise patients that driving is ok after they are not on significant medication. Some patients may have drains and may feel more comfortable after the drains are out. Compression clothing may also be more comfortable. Discuss your case with your PS. Best wishes!