Lip lift - muscle hemming vs skin? (Photo)

I can continue reading review after review, but I am no further along than when I started. I have read not to touch the muscle, it could cause problems. In addition, I have read if you don't do the muscle hemming, the columella can be pulled down, the surgery won't last as long and you won't get the desired look. This information came from a very reputable dr. who deals primarily with noses. Other dr.'s on the site have said similar. I am not a dr. - how can I get to the bottom of this?

#lip contour and shaping , #liplift , facial contouring

Dear password101

Thank you for your question and photo! 
The lip shape is dependent on the shape of your whole face and the shape of your teeth and dental arches. There is no precise number and the technique should involve a good fixation of the lift so that the surrounding structures are not affected.

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Correct approach to lip lift

Thank you for your question about your lip lift.

There is no right/wrong answer - different surgeons use different techniques to get good results.
  • A lip lift removes the excess skin - based on careful measurements, the look you want and the length of your lip.
  • The muscle beneath the lip need not be altered.
  • The key is removing the correct amount of tissue.
  • The muscle can be sutured to the nasal base - but I find this distorting.

Hope you find this information helpful.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes.

Subnasal Lip Lift

The orbicularis muscle should never be manipulated and no more than 1/4 of the total philtral length distance should be removed when doing a sub nasal lip lift. If you follow these two basic principles, there will be no smile animation problems and the columella will not be pulled down.

What does a lift lip entail? Muscle? Skin only?

Thank you Madame for your question.

Lip lift is not a common procedure and for this reason, much confusion can be found out there... i.e. it is mostly an unknown technique to most surgeons (not taught in plastic surgery school).

#LipLift usually involves removing a few millimetres of skin at the base of the nose.  This will evert the skin and lift the upper lip by 1-2 mm.  

I usually add a suspension of the upper lip muscle to the strong nasal base cartilage (not to the columella as it is a weak cartilage).  Suspension to the strong cartilage will not change the nose appearance.

After reviewing your pictures, you would also benefit from a lip corner lift as the outer parts of your upper lip are becoming inverted and are disappearing.  It is also a simple procedure.

Finally, you might consider #juvederm, #restylane or fat grafting to replenish some volume.

#Cost varies depending on the technique(s) required.  Recovery is simple with stitches in place for about 5-7 days.  #Recovery is a bit longer if fat grafting is performed.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

#DrMarcDuPere, #Toronto board-certified plastic surgeon

Marc DuPere, MD