Can fillers help soften the prominence of my chin? (photo)

I like the general shape of my face and my jawline, but my chin is a little bit too pointy. Would fillers in that small dip help correct that?

Can fillers help soften the prominence of my chin?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation and in determining if a dermal filler would be useful.  The mental groove appears to be of appropriate depth and filling it in, when there are no other indications will not accomplish your aesthetic goals.  Doing so can lead to a perceived imbalance in the lower face.  If on profile, the chin has the proper forward projection but is otherwise asymmetric or overly "pointed", a dermal filler can be used to deliver a specific volume to shape and soften the chin's angular appearance. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If however the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a dermal filler or a chin implant (for a permanent enhancement) will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.
 If on profile the chin is "too strong", the chin can be rasped down or the lips can be augmented following the proper aesthetic proportion.  Ideally proportioned lips have the ability to soften the lower face and will take emphasis away from the chin and nasal areas.Hope this helps.

Labiomental Fold

Fillers or fat injections can be used to fill in the labiomental fold above the chin. If that is what you are referring to then it may be helpful in your case of a pointy chin.

Chin fillers

Hello and thank you for your question. Fillers can sometimes help with this.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD