Expectation during recovery stage after lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning? (photos)

This is day 18 after my op. Is it ok to touch/press the swollen area within the first 48hrs after op? I was curious why the swollen area was as hard as a rock and may have apply a bit of pressure when pressing. (i was given incorrect intsruction to massage it which i stop after 1 day). After stitch removal, i was ask to massage and felt a depression in the middle below my right eye. I am worried my initial pressure would kill the fats and this will have future side effects. will it smoothen?

Fat repositioning

You are still early in the healing phase.  The massage you did would not kill the fat.  The fat can initially feel very firm from the swelling but this should improve with time.  Warm compresses should help to speed up the healing.    

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid surgery

As to massage or not, this really is something to discuss directly with your surgeon. Fat repositioned in the lower tear trough region may feel firm initially but often softens up.

Expectations

no worries! You did not do anything that will adversely affect your results. Areas of hardness combined with areas of fullness and depressions is completely normal during the healing process.  This should all start to settle over the next three months. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon