Is it common to have painful jaw after Facelift?

Is it common to rasp jaw during facelift? I notice now that many of my PS patients have very strange looking jaw after the procedure. I'm starting to think he rasps some of it off during surgery. Is that legal if he does not mention about that during consultations? Isn't facelift only about lifting skin and muscles if anything else is not agreed?

Facelift & Jaw

No, your surgeon didn't rasp your jaw during your facelift if that is not what you requested although you can find out for sure but asking for a copy of your operative report. Soreness in the jaw is common for patients who've had a facelift. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Joshhhi

Thank you for your question!  I am not sure about rasping?  There are multiple steps of a facelift- and perhaps your surgeon can review your concerns and help with improving your symptoms.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Face lift - why the jaw pain?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• A plastic surgeon would not rasp the jaw during a face lift.
  • The usual cause of jaw pain would be deep sutures in the temporalis fascia to support the SMAS repair.
  • Only your surgeon will know if he did something he didn't discuss with you.
  • You can ask for a copy of the operative note for your records to see what was done.
  • Everyone looks swollen and abnormal in the weeks after a face lift.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

"Jaw Rasping"

Wow, lots of assumptions in this question. We as surgeons do not do procedures that we do not get permission for. That is called assault. 

It is not common to "rasp" the jaw. Soft tissue contouring may improve the jawline significantly without bony alteration.

A sore jaw may be due to sutures tightening the underlying structures of soft tissue near the jaw. It may also be due to intubation when general anesthesia is used. In either case it should be short lived.

All the Best,

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
6430 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda MD 20817

Jaw procedures for face lifting

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

It is very difficult to determine surgical techniques by picture assessment. Jaw changes can be generated by a myriad of surgical techniques. If you are concern about this feature, have an open conversation with your surgeon about the specifics of it. If you have any concerns, find a new plastic surgeon with outcomes that are more appealing to you. 

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Is it common to rasp jaw during facelift?

A usual facelift procedure only deals with soft tissue and not bone, so rasping the jaw during a facelift would not be considered routine.  If you have already had surgery, you would need to ask your particular surgeon if anything was done to the jaw bone or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw rasping

Rasping a jaw is not a standard part of a facelift. You would have to talk to your surgeon to find out if this is the case for his procedures.