Will smoking up until the day of a breast augmentation effect it?

So I just got a breast augmentation done 4 days ago. I'm a smoker, I've been smoking a pack a day for the last 10 years. My plastic surgeon never told me not to smoke before the surgery, so I smoked up until and an hour before it. After the surgery he told me not to smoke for 2 weeks, which I'm really struggling with already. So I looked online and everyone's saying not to smoke BEFORE surgery either. So I want to know how this will effect my healing since I didn't quit before.

Is smoking bad when getting a Breast Augmentation

Smoking is detrimental to healing as the hydrocarbons in the smoke constrict blood vessels that bring nutrients to the tissue.  Also, smoking makes anesthesia more risky due to its effects on oxygen exchange in the lungs.

Best to follow your PS's advice.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Smoking before and after surgery

Smoking increases the risk of not healing properly. For breast augmentation, I recommend my patients stop smoking two weeks before surgery and at least two weeks after surgery. Each physician has their own protocol so timeframes may vary. 

Smoke and breast enlargement

Thanks for your question.

Nicotine is a vasoconstritor wich means that reduce the caliber of the blood vessels that move around the blood with the oxygen.

When you have an operation the wound need oxygen to heal so in a smoker the healing process is slower and the wound take longer to heal.

This increase the risk of infection.

I ask to my patient to not to smoke at least two weeks before surgery and until they are fully healed.

Mr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Cessation

Thank you for your question.   In our practice we advise our patients to cease smoking and the use of any nicotine products for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and to continue to avoid smoking or any nicotine products for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery.  Smoking increases every risk of surgery including bleeding, bruising, infection and scar formation.

With kind regards,

Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Smoking Before/After Surgery

Thank you for your question. I prefer that my BA patients avoid smoking 2 weeks before and after surgery, but I will only insist on that for longer surgeries. Each surgeon has their own preferred protocols. 

Taking this precaution reduces surgical risks and may help create a more successful treatment outcome.

Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide that reduces the ability of the red blood cells in a smoker’s body from transporting oxygen throughout the body. The presence of carbon monoxide in the blood is reduced by half when no cigarettes are smoked for four hours and, better yet, is reduced to a safe level if cigarettes are avoided for eight hours. Stopping smoking before and after surgery helps oxygen to more effectively travel throughout the body, an essential tool in warding off infection and successful wound healing.

All the best 

Smoking and BA surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. I have my patients avoid all forms of nicotine if not permanently, for at least 4 weeks prior to surgery. All amounts of nicotine found in E-Cigarettes, cigarettes or tobacco products should be avoided all together to decrease the risk of known surgical complications that these chemicals and their byproducts cause. Nicotine is bad enough for tissue healing and recovery, but there may be other toxins and chemicals in tobacco products that you will want to stay well clear of. 

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stop Smoking Before Any Surgery

Depending on your age and health, the smoking may not affect the results of your breast augmentation at all. However, you should have stopped smoking at least 2 weeks beforehand, and not smoke for 2 weeks after as the nicotine in the cigarette smoke (or on patches or in nicotine gum) reduce the microscopic blood circulation to the areas that are healing. Luckily, the circulation tot he skin is affected minimally by a breast augmentation, although the healing of the incision may be compromised. 

Stop smoking completely, it hurts every organ system in your body.  

Philip Lambruschi, MD
Arlington Heights Plastic Surgeon