Why did I break out after vitalize peel?

3 years ago i had mild break outs, andci did a vitalize peel. my skin looked amazing for the first three days after it peeled, but thn i had the worst break out ever with lots of comedones, which were hard to get rid of. I would like to try peels again to get the sale smoothing effects, but im not so sure which one would give le smoother skin without the comedones. any advice? at home i have bn using 20% glycolic pads for years.

Breaking out after a peel

Hello, and thank you for your question! Peels work by removing dead cells from the surface of the skin, promoting something called "cell turnover". Unfortunately, it is this same process of "sloughing" that leads to clogged pores, which in turn can lead to breakouts. Therefore, peels and breakouts can often be linked.While it is not uncommon for people to have a breakout immediately after they received a peel, it is also not a guarantee that they will have a breakout after subsequent peels. My personal opinion is that the long-term benefits of having regular chemical peels outweighs the occasional acne flare that can result from their use. However, every person should make this choice themselves. If you do decide to have more peels in the future, you can reduce (although not eliminate) the odds of having an acne flare by prepping your skin well with the regular use of alpha-hydroxy acids (such as glycolic or salicylic) in the weeks before your peel. Good luck!

Peels and Acne Breakouts

Depending on your skin type you can break out after a peel.  You should discuss the correct products to use before and after the peel to avoid this in the future with your dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Green