What skin care products do I need after a chemical peel?

I'm having a Vitalize peel, done by a nurse, at a plastic surgeon's clinic. I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on their products (Lytera, for example). What store products can I buy instead?

Chemical Peel

Some great, but over the counter products such as the CeraVe line are amazing. After a chemical peel, you face should remain free of products until the next day. Afterwards, CeraVe hydrating lotion is a great ever-day moisturizer and they also carry a sunscreen- which will be very important post chemical peel. You’ll want your face to stay hydrated and protected from the sun during this time of healing. 

Columbus Physician

Chemical Pee and After Care

Your treating physician should review with you care after a chemical peel since the proper care is very important.  Gentle moisturizers such as Eucerin, Aquaphor, and sunscreen with strict sun avoidance is essential.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Post chemical peel treatment

Thanks for your question. The basics will be intense moisturization for the first few days to a week after. I typically use bacitracin antibiotic ointment for the first 24 hours, then have patients use Aquaphore. After that, you can use a quality sunscreen and light moisturizer. A retinol product would also be good after a week. Just as an example, the product lines we carry in our skin center tend to be on par w/ department store prices, but with physician-strength ingredients and the expertise of counseling by our medical aestheticians. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon