How soon after having a baby can I get revision rhinoplasty?

I had primary rhinoplasty done 8 months ago and I am extremely unhappy with my results. I got pregnant 2 months post op and will be delivering when it's a full year after my surgery. I was wondering how soon is it ok to get a revision without hormones interfering and possibly messing up the results? I heard your body needs at least a year for hormones to stabilize and only then is it advisable to do revision for best results. Is this true?

Timing revision rhinoplasty after pregnancy

Thank you for your question about your revision rhinoplasty

I am so glad you have a new baby on the way.
  • You are near the third trimester, so about 3-4 months to go.
  • Then you may breast feed and need to recover from pregnancy.
  • Plan your revision rhinoplasty 6-12 m onths after pregnancy or after breast feeding, if you breast feed.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful.

Wait a few months after delivery for revision rhinoplasty

Good question. Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's a good idea to wait approximately 3 months after your delivery or until you finish breastfeeding so that your body can return to normal before undergoing surgery. Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging of all cosmetic surgeries, so be sure to look for an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist who has a strong aesthetic sense and the talent and experience to refine the nose as needed.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best to wait 2-3 months after childbirth...

Your hormones should not have a significant effect on the result of revision rhinoplasty. We usually wait 2-3 month after childbirth because the body needs time to normalize after giving birth. Pregnancy can affect blood sugar, blood pressure, coagulation, and even your basic psychological state. After these things normalize, you should be ready for revision rhinoplasty. Typically if you are still breastfeeding, we may wait a bit longer.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

For any revision, I suggest at least one year. After pregnancy, give it a few months more

There are a number of factors that need to be weighed after rhinoplasty and pregnancy. Of course if you are planning on breast feeding, you should wait until after that is complete. If not, at least give it a few months after delivery to lose most of the pregancy weight and for your home routine to get back to normal. 

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Revision rhinoplasty after pregnancy

It is best to wait at least 2 months after delivering a baby befor electing to undergo a revision rhinoplasty, to make sure the body's physiology is back to normal. It's also important wait at least a year before undergoing a revision rhinoplasty after the primary rhinoplasty.

Pregnancy and revision rhino

Congratulations!  You should probably wait several months until you get back to your normal weight and stop breast feeding. Best of luck.

It would be safe as early as 2 months after pregnancy.

In general, I would advise you to wait 3 months after having your child before considering revision rhinoplasty. It takes about 2 months for your body to return to normal.  If you are breast feeding, the anesthesiologist can use medications that are not secreted in significant amounts in breast milk.  As for the outcome of a revision rhinoplasty, I think that an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon is the most important consideration  that you will have to make.  I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT with experience in revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck!