How long should you wear compression garment after arm lift (no liposuction)? (photo)

Compression Garments Following Arm Lift Surgery

Compression garments are frequently utilized following arm lift surgery. The management of these devices varies from surgeon to surgeon and is dependent upon a variety of factors. These garments decrease swelling, remodel soft tissue and increase patient comfort following this type of procedure.

We generally utilize compression garments for 3 to 4 weeks following arm lift surgery. It's important to understand that each patient's situation is unique and for this reason, compression garments are occasionally used for longer periods of time. In some cases, patients may feel more comfortable wearing these garments in the post-operative period.

It's important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with arm lift surgery. Your surgeon should be able to outline his protocol for post-operative care and the use of compression garments.

How long should you wear impression garment after arm lift (no liposuction)?

Each surgeon has their own routine postoperative orders for this procedure. Very commonly however immediately after the operation compressive Ace wraps are placed from the fingers up to the armpit. These can normally be removed within 24-48 hours postoperatively. Elastic compression sleeves commonly worn by athletes can be purchased relatively inexpensively at any sporting good store. Many patients wear these for up for up to 2 weeks postoperatively. No vigorous activity or strenuous activity is recommended for 3 weeks postoperatively. Complications following a well planned and well executed brachioplasty are uncommon. They may include however wound infection or wound breakdown. Is very important to follow the directions of your surgeon postoperatively to ensure the best result.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long should you wear compression garment after arm lift (no liposuction)?

Thank you for your question. Discuss with your surgeon as answers will vary among surgeons. After procedures such as the arm lift, tummy tuck, liposuction, etc. where swelling is a concern postoperatively, compression garments are typically used. A period of 4-6 weeks is usually recommended in order to obtain optimal results. Discuss specific garment use instructions with your surgeon. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Armlift arm reduction brachioplasty arm liposuction arm lift

Hello Dgirl206, thank you for your question. Usually liposuction is performed in an arm lift or brachioplasty. In my professional opinion, I believe this provides the best results. However, since you did not have liposuction during your arm lift or brachioplasty procedure, I would suggest wearing your compression garment 4-6 weeks after surgery. In your case, it will significantly flatten your scars, help with swelling, and accelerate your recovery. 

Sincerely,
J. Timothy Katzen, M.D.

Compression after Arm Lift | Brachioplasty

Each surgeon is different. I have my patients wear compression for two weeks and longer for comfort if they desire. Compression helps alleviate and speed resolution of swelling. It is helpful.

To be sure, ask your surgeon what his or her specific instructions are.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Compression garments after brachioplasty

Thank you for your question about brachioplasty surgery. All physicians differ somewhat on their post op instructions, so I would suggest that you check with your surgeon about their specific preference, but I normally suggest that my patients remain in a compression garment for approximately 2-4 weeks after a brachioplasty.

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon