Hair Transplant Surgeons: The best of the best, the ones that don't advertise?
Doctor Answers 10
Best Hair Transplant Surgeon: Finding the Right One for You
A question asked by many people considering hair restoration is, “How do I find the best hair transplant surgeon?” This is a very good question. You have to look at several factors when choosing a hair transplant doctor:
- Training – Some doctors who are board-certified with different medical boards do not necessarily have the proper training to be an effective and successful hair transplant doctor. Ask the doctor if he is a fellowship-trained hair transplant doctor. This means he has spent one year learning the art and science of hair restoration.
- Experience – How long has the doctor been performing hair restoration with consistently good results?
- Results – Don’t be afraid to ask if you can see plenty of before and after photos from the doctor you considering. If possible, see if you can meet some of his previous patients in person. Nothing can replace the experience of directly seeing and touching the hair of a patient who had this procedure performed previously by the doctor.
- Board-Certification – The American Board of Hair Restoration is the only medical board exclusively dedicated to hair restoration. The doctors on this board have to pass written and oral examinations to be considered and this only happens after they have done a certain number of hair transplants, have proof of their training and can show examples of their case load. While there are doctors with other board-certifications such as dermatology and plastic surgery who perform hair restoration, hair transplantation is not a requirement of any of those boards.
After doing proper research about the best hair transplant surgeon for your medical needs, you should make an appointment and go see them in person. Spend your consultation asking proper questions because you need to have a good feeling about the doctor performing your hair transplant surgery.
How to choose the best Hair transplant surgeon?
How to choose the best Hair transplant surgeon?
This is one of the most difficult things to do especially when many surgeons write the same things on their websites. However, still you got to choose one. So, I think asking the following questions can help you to make up your mind in a better way.
1. Education &training: Is the doctor Board Certified?
This is the first parameter which should be taken into account at the time of choosing the doctor. The American Board Certified or the Fellows of the ISHRS who have proven their hard work, dedication and commitment to the cause of hair transplantation in the professional examination format as well as amongst the peer group always hold an edge over the rest of the doctors.
2. Experience: For how long has the doctor been practicing Hair transplant?
The longer the period, the more is the chance of his delivering the better results. But make sure that you ask about his experience of doing hair transplants and not just practicing medicine.
3. Is the doctor exclusively practicing hair transplant or doing it along with other procedures?
A doctor who is exclusively practicing hair transplant is always better than the one who is doing it as just one of the procedures
4. Are you happy with the results put up on their website or brochures?
Results are one of the most important criteria to select your doctor. But make sure that the pics are not photoshopped. Rather, it is difficult to morph the videos, so it is always better to judge the results from the result videos or the video testimonials. Then you should be able to appreciate the naturalness of the hairline, the softness, and coverage of the recipient area. Not only this, you should also see the donor area as most of the patients undergoing huge FUE sessions often land with moth eaten appearance of the scalp after surgery.
5. Does your doctor regularly attends the conferences and present his work in the conferences?
A doctor who keeps on attending the conferences is more updated about the new advances in his field as compared to the other one. If he also presents his work regularly, then there is a fair chance that he is respected in his peer group and his opinion will carry more weightage
6. Does your doctor do the surgery himself?
Nowadays, the number of hair transplant surgeries have increased but so has the number of shadow surgeries i.e. the surgery which is to be done by the doctors is being performed by the technicians. The surgeon just consults and doesn’t do the extraction or the slit making process as is recommended by the bigger associations of hair transplant like the ISHRS or the AHRS India. Just make it clear from your surgeon that who is going to do these two steps
7. Has your doctor clearly understood your concerns?
According to me, if you have got a favorable answer to all the above questions, then it is most important to find out if your surgeon has clearly understood your concerns. You will not be satisfied if after transplant, you get a good crop of hair but this was not what you wanted.
In the end, I would like to say that you should take proper time and do adequate research to make your choice because the “Hair once lost from the donor area will be lost forever”.
Questions to consider
Many factors should be taken in to consideration when choosing a surgeon. Do your research and ask yourself: Who’s results do you like the best? Who’s philosophy matches what you are looking for? Does that doctor consistently produce great results? How involved in the procedure is the doctor? These are just a few of the questions that should be asked.
You might also like...
How to find the best hair transplant surgeon
The best hair transplant surgeon will be one who listens carefully to your goals and expectations and works with you personally to achieve what will look natural and more youthful. When arranging a consultation, be sure that you will have time to address all your questions with your physician. You should feel comfortable asking any questions, reviewing photos of patients with similar hair loss patterns to yourself, and speaking with previous patients. It should go without saying that the doctor (not a technician) is the one removing the grafts and making all the recipient sites.
Seek a physician who is a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery and a Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, as these doctors have demonstrated a commitment to their education, ongoing training, and excellence in their specialty. Ideally, hair transplantation should be the primary focus of their medical practice.
Good luck and wishes for success!
Hair loss specialist
I admit, this is a biased answer since I was trained by him.
Choosing the Best Hair Transplant Surgeon
This is why we often don’t know who these individuals turn to for their hair restoration procedures.
However, there are other individuals like Wayne Rooney, for example who openly share their experiences with fans.
Also, at our clinic, one of our patient videos features an actor from the television Shameless. He has kindly agreed to showcase his results and discuss his feedback about his procedure.
If you are interested in finding the best of the best, it will be important for you to do your own research. Don’t rely on conceptual, anecdotal information.
But rather, look at many different examples of patient results that the doctor is able to show. This can be in the form of still ‘before and after’ images or patient videos which not only feature these types of comparison photos, but also their verbal feedback as well.
General factors to look for include:
- number of grafts used
- growth yield success
- how natural the final results appear to be (e.g. do the grafts reflect natural looking angles, directions and orientations?)
Hope this helps!
Who is the " Best Surgeon"? Who do celebrities go to for plastic surgery and hair transpalnts?
The best fit for most patients comes from word of mouth referrals from happy patients. Our high profile patients are treated no differently than any one else-- privacy, respect, caring, and a flawless performed hair transplant procedure.
Celebrity patietns value provacy adn seek out smaller offices with high attention to detail. Frequently the publicists and mnagement team have had direct experience with teh physician. It is rarely the practice with flashy web ads or paid click links.
Meet with 2 or three experienced doctors, and get a sense of the results, the care environment in the office, the confidence of the team. Maybe do not obsess over perfection-- find good enough, and you are more likely to be happy.