I have endometriosis in my belly button. I had CoolSculpting over the area and I am now in agony and have been for 4 days

I had 3 areas treated aver the stomach area and one was specifically over the belly button area. could the coolsculpting aggravated my endemtriosis, the pain is unbearable an sops me from sleeping

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. It is possible to have late onset pain with coolsculpting, but you should check with your doctor to make sure the pain is not from anything else.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

This is a well known nerve pain that occurs after Coolsculpting. Actually, I was the first to see this in 2009. It is now well documented and treatment is usually with topical lidocaine and/or neurontin. It has been noted to be less in patients with Z Wave after treatment and with the new CoolAdvantage handpieces. However, you have unique circumstances and need to be seen and evaluated. I don't think this is related to the endometriosis but can't say that for sure.

Steven F. Weiner, MD