Coolsculpt experts: 2 vertical coolfits for abdomen? (Photos)

Q1: What applicators would you recommend for my abdomen? I am thinking 2 vertical coolfits (see photo with coolfit applicator), however the Coolsculpt rep suggested 4 cool cores in a diamond pattern (see photo with cool advantage template). However, I think 4 cool cores is way too much coverage for my abdomen. Is there a risk for a "shark bite" or effect with the cool fits on small pockets of fat on the abdomen?

Diamond sounds right

Thank you for your question. I would say that for most patients, the diamond configuration is the most appropriate placement of the CoolSculpting applicator. Of course, the best way to plan your treatments is via an in-person examination, where your abdomen is palpated and the best orientation of the applicator placement is determined by how pinchable your tissues are. I have also seen good results with vertical placement of the CoolFit applicator on the abdomen.

Everyone's abdomen is different, but if your CoolSculpting rep examined you and recommended the diamond configuration, that's most likely the best way to go!

Good luck! 

Warren Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Applicator of choice for Coolsculpting

Thank you for your questions and for sending photos to review. However, reviewing photos is not the best way to decide which hand piece is best. For the abdomen most women have a fat pattern that is in a diamond shape and therefore the CoolCore hand piece is usually the best option. Once again, I would suggest having the consult in person, however I feel your clinician is on the correct path.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Abs

Both patterns are options.  The "shark bite" comes from under treating an area and leaving treatable fat outside of the treatment zone.  Rule of thumb: better to extend the treatment zone (ie more cylces) than under treat.

CoolSculpting Applicator Selection

It is difficult to say without examining you and determining the distribution of your "pinchable fat".  However, I would tend to agree with your rep's suggestion of the 4 CoolCores in a diamond pattern.  The CoolFits tend to not fit the curves of the abdomen as well as the CoolCores.  We have seen good success treating patients with this diamond pattern of applicators.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting treatmetn

I agree with your CoolSculpting representative and the diamond pattern using 4 CoolCore applicators. This is the pattern most commonly used my us in our practice and we have seen great results. I do not commonly use the CoolFit applicator on the abdomen. Of course, this is being said with examining you in person or being able to determine the "pinchability" of your fat. 

CoolSculpting The Abdomen: Which Applicators To Use?

We would need to examine your fat distribution and pinchability in person to determine which applicators would be most appropriate for you. Looking at your pictures alone I would agree with your CoolSculpting rep that the diamond pattern would give you the best coverage. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Applicator choice for CS

Hi jpsmax.  The choice of applicator has much to do with the orientation of pinchable fat, so an exam (as opposed to only pics) is essential to say for sure.  The diamond pattern has been successful in my practice without resulting in excessive removal or depressions, regardless of the amount of fat.  I don't recommend the coolfits for your abdomen. Be sure to consult with a provider who has advanced training and experience through Coolsculpting University.  Best wishes,

Trick Question

In general, I would agree with the rep getting you better coverage with the diamond approach. I assume you work at a facility that offers the treatment and you have access to the machine. And this question is really just "taking a poll" and not a traditional patient looking treatment clarification/advice. So with this in mind, I would say--that our views on the treatment are really based on the original applicators that needed to provide enough suction to draw the skin into the handpiece in those areas--the diamond pattern tended to be most optimal to grab the skin and the fat below it into the handpiece. I would venture to state this is likely due to the way the skin folds in that area. But as you are well aware of, with the new applicators, you do not need to provide as much suction or draw up the skin as far as we needed before. So the real question is--do you stay with conventional thinking although you are using a new handpiece. Or do you try a new approach given that you have access to perform a trial run. If you want predictable outcome, I say stay with conventional approach. If you want to test a new theory and want to evaluate how well the new handpiece can work (on you now, and then on future patients/clients)  in the fashion you are showing--try it and let us know. Best!

Coolsculpting abdominal placement

Although it is difficult to advise without examining you, I would tend to agree with your coolsculpting representative. I feel it would give you better overall coverage. Go see a reputable, experienced, treating center for an exam. Best wishes Maurice Vick MD

Maurice M. Vick, Jr., MD
Baton Rouge Urologist