Blisters from Sclerotherapy on 11/17. Any advice on what could have caused this? He is monitoring for infection (Photo)

Hello, I had sclerotherapy done on my legs and some areas I formed blisters. Ruling out steri strip reaction as I do not have blisters at all injection sites and a steri strip was used on my c-section with no reaction. I am hypertrophic/keloid prone and getting really nervous for these to develop where the blisters are. The dr is puzzled why this happened in a few areas and not everywhere. He said not to put anything on them and let them pop on it's own.

Reaction to sclerotherapy

This looks like a reaction to the sclerotherapy agent that was used.  There are reactions that can occur  depending on the agent used.  I would recommend using a scar cream as these blisters can open and lead to scarring.  

Beverly Hills Physician

Blister therapy after sclerotherapy

I would apply Plato's Dark Scar Corrector and Plato's Scar Serum on the area to prevent further scarring. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Post sclerotherapy blisters.

Blisters post sclerotherapy treatment is most unusual.  If steri-strips were used (again not usual) the blisters could have been caused by moisture under the strips. Blisters from the solution used could be due to leakage under the skin and irritation.  The blisters shown look like there may be some blood in them which would indicate post injection bleeding.  You may want to apply silvadene cream to the blisters which may aid in healing. I prefer to break the blisters when small but leaving them alone will also heal.  I would expect you to heal well from this but you should follow up with your treating MD.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Blisters with sclerotherapy

I think you may be particularly sensitive to whatever sclerosant was used to treat you or the concentration may have been a bit high. No matter how good the injector, a tiny amount of sclerosant will leak out of the vein to the surrounding tissue. Normally, it causes a little swelling like a mosquito bite but in your case it has caused blisters. You can consider a lower concentration of sclerosant or different sclerosant altogether after these blisters have completely healed. Alternatively, assuming the veins feeding the spider veins have been closed, you could try laser sclerotherapy or Veinwave. 

Mark S. Kim, MD
Puyallup Phlebologist

Blisters after sclerotherapy

I am not certain why you got those blisters. My first thought is a reaction to tape that may have been used.  I am a bit confused though about your comment about steri strips.  I do not know why steri strips would be used for sclerotherapy, so perhaps there is  more to your case. Also, do you know what sclerosing agent was used for your sclerotherapy?  You may have had an unusual reaction to that.  I agree with keeping the blisters clean and letting the open up themselves. I would expect them to eventually heal without significant scarring.  

Jeffrey Gosin, MD, FACS
Atlantic City Vascular Surgeon