I had gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago, but my areola is still puffy! Is it still going to heal? (photos)

I'm 18 years old and I had gynecomastia excision and lipo 5 weeks ago, and at first my nipples looked great, flat and of normal size. As weeks have gone by my chest is still flat, but nipples are puffy. Is it because of scar tissue or will it continue to heal and start to look normal? I'm quite worried as I spent quite a lot on the surgery and don't want to have to pay it again! Sorry photos are on their side, couldn't fix it Thanks in advance

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Puffy areola after gynecomastia surgery

It is possible that what you are experiencing is a postoperative swelling. I would suggest to wait at least 3 months for swelling to subside. If the deformity persists after that time you should discuss revision with your surgeon. Frequently a small hard lump of breast tissue is left underneath areola after liposuction and may need direct excision. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

After gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question and photo. If your nipple area was flat after surgery but has slowly become more puffy, it should be due to either swelling or scar tissue. Either way, this is something that will most likely go away over time. It may take a few months to see your final results. I recommend staying in contact with your Surgeon until you see the results you desire.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon