Get Rid of Neck Wrinkles

I would like to know the best filler for the neck, and the lines on each side of the mouth.

The tricky neck

vlyoung,

It depends on the depth of the fold and wrinkle in the neck but traditionally neck wrinkles are tough to treat as they are created from the dynamic function of a muscle called the platysma which enwraps the superficial structures of your neck and face.

Botox has been shown to be marginally effective in treatment to soften the folds but may require a high unit volume. In my experience, if you had a specific area of concern, i.e. a neck scar, filler may be beneficial but if there are broad areas that require treatment you might find yourself paying for a large amount of material with questionable benefit.

You may want to consider a surgical consult to identify all of your options both surgical and non-surgical prior to embarking on a possible misadventure in the neck.

Dr. Pryor

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm...

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm can create bruising or unsightly lumps in this location if it is not administered in small amounts and carefully. Human collagen can be used (Cosmoderm) for this as well.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers versus .....?

To tell you the truth, in my hands the best results are obtained with fat transfer. This is mainly because it is a large area and it is this superficial fat (above the platysma muscle) that is lost with time. So replacing it with your own tissue is most helpful. Similarly for the lines at the corner of the mouth fat can do wonders. 

Fat transfer in combination with fractional laser treatment is even more powerful for these issues. With the fat transfer we also transfer stem cells which help to rejuvenate the skin after the laser treatments. 

Fillers are always an option and if patients are set on fillers I am willing to offer that but the goal is to get the best results and make happy patients and in my hands  that is with fat and laser!

Hope this helps,

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for side of mouth and neck

Thank you for your question. For the sides of the mouth I prefer a filler such as Juvéderm, which is relatively soft and can be injected a superficial plane. This area can generate some bruising, however I feel that Juvéderm is effective and can be distributed in a proper fashion to prevent lumpiness.  Other fillers can sometimes a bit more firm.Regarding the neck, this area tends to be more complex and traditional fillers in general I do not use here. Lines in the neck are typically caused by dynamic function of the platysma muscle. This can be treated with Botox. I use this quite effectively. If you have any loose skin or bands, I would also consider a neck lift procedure which can achieve the goals that you desire.

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Best fillers for neck

Fillers in the neck can work but it really depends on the elasticity of the skin.  If there is poor skin tone or elasticity, placing fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm can give a lumpy appearance or no result at all.  If there is platysmal banding (vertical bands in the neck), this can be treated with Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin successfully but effects the skin mildly.  

Increasing neck skin tone with Sculptra or CO2 laser or both can help improve the appearance of the neck skin.  These procedures are performed by very few specialists so do your research and ask questions before allowing anyone to do these.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro-Botox

Without seeing the laxity of your neck skin and, or, muscles it is difficult to determine an optimal treatment.  However, Micro-Botox for the neck skin softens the lines, shrinks the pores and offers enhanced quality to the neck skin.  There are also a number of excellent skin care products that target the neck skin.  IPL, or intense pulsed light targets the pigmentation and sun damage of the face and neck.  It, also, assists in tightening the neck skin.  

Fillers for the marianotte lines

Any hyaluronic acid filler should work well in this area. Unfortunately, fillers do not have much of a role in the neck.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Options for Neck Wrinkles

I don't usually recommend using fillers in the neck area because of the vast array of potential side effects that can be caused from injecting in this delicate area. Botox can be an effective treatment for neck banding, however it's not the right treatment for everyone. I often recommend Ulthera to treat wrinkles in the neck. Ulthera is a non-invasive treatment that tightens the skin by re-stimulating collagen at a very deep level under the skin. My patients have been extremely happy with the results of their Ulthera treatment. In regard to treating lines on the sides of the mouth, I usually prefer to use Juvederm to inject in these areas. I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified physician who will be able to assess you and talk to you about your concerns. Most importantly, they will be able to narrow down your treatment options and let you know exactly what you are a good candidate for.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Treatment for neck lines

The best treatments for wrinkles on each side of the mouth are fillers like restylane or juvederm. I would not recommend fillers for lines in the neck area. Best treatment for neck lines is a neck lift that can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Neck Lift or Facelift for Neck Wrinkles

It’s not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles around the corners of the mouth during the facial aging process. When this occurs, injectable fillers can be used to treat nasal labial folds and marionette lines in this area. In this situation, the use of injectable fillers is associated with high levels of patient satisfaction.

It’s also not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles in the neck area during facial aging. Unfortunately, injectable fillers have limited therapeutic success in this anatomic region for a variety of reasons. Neck wrinkles are often associated with loose saggy skin and for this reason, fillers usually don’t work in this area. In addition, the neck skin is very thin and injections in this area may result in contour irregularities. Under these circumstances, neck wrinkles and loose skin usually require a neck lift or combination neck lift facelift procedure.

If you’re concerned about neck wrinkles, consultation with a plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition.