Get Rid of Neck Wrinkles

I would like to know the best filler for the neck, and the lines on each side of the mouth.

The tricky neck

vlyoung,

It depends on the depth of the fold and wrinkle in the neck but traditionally neck wrinkles are tough to treat as they are created from the dynamic function of a muscle called the platysma which enwraps the superficial structures of your neck and face.

Botox has been shown to be marginally effective in treatment to soften the folds but may require a high unit volume. In my experience, if you had a specific area of concern, i.e. a neck scar, filler may be beneficial but if there are broad areas that require treatment you might find yourself paying for a large amount of material with questionable benefit.

You may want to consider a surgical consult to identify all of your options both surgical and non-surgical prior to embarking on a possible misadventure in the neck.

Dr. Pryor

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm...

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm can create bruising or unsightly lumps in this location if it is not administered in small amounts and carefully. Human collagen can be used (Cosmoderm) for this as well.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Micro-Botox

Without seeing the laxity of your neck skin and, or, muscles it is difficult to determine an optimal treatment.  However, Micro-Botox for the neck skin softens the lines, shrinks the pores and offers enhanced quality to the neck skin.  There are also a number of excellent skin care products that target the neck skin.  IPL, or intense pulsed light targets the pigmentation and sun damage of the face and neck.  It, also, assists in tightening the neck skin.  

Fillers for the marianotte lines

Any hyaluronic acid filler should work well in this area. Unfortunately, fillers do not have much of a role in the neck.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Options for Neck Wrinkles

I don't usually recommend using fillers in the neck area because of the vast array of potential side effects that can be caused from injecting in this delicate area. Botox can be an effective treatment for neck banding, however it's not the right treatment for everyone. I often recommend Ulthera to treat wrinkles in the neck. Ulthera is a non-invasive treatment that tightens the skin by re-stimulating collagen at a very deep level under the skin. My patients have been extremely happy with the results of their Ulthera treatment. In regard to treating lines on the sides of the mouth, I usually prefer to use Juvederm to inject in these areas. I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified physician who will be able to assess you and talk to you about your concerns. Most importantly, they will be able to narrow down your treatment options and let you know exactly what you are a good candidate for.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Treatment for neck lines

The best treatments for wrinkles on each side of the mouth are fillers like restylane or juvederm. I would not recommend fillers for lines in the neck area. Best treatment for neck lines is a neck lift that can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Neck Lift or Facelift for Neck Wrinkles

It’s not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles around the corners of the mouth during the facial aging process. When this occurs, injectable fillers can be used to treat nasal labial folds and marionette lines in this area. In this situation, the use of injectable fillers is associated with high levels of patient satisfaction.

It’s also not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles in the neck area during facial aging. Unfortunately, injectable fillers have limited therapeutic success in this anatomic region for a variety of reasons. Neck wrinkles are often associated with loose saggy skin and for this reason, fillers usually don’t work in this area. In addition, the neck skin is very thin and injections in this area may result in contour irregularities. Under these circumstances, neck wrinkles and loose skin usually require a neck lift or combination neck lift facelift procedure.

If you’re concerned about neck wrinkles, consultation with a plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition. 

Best filler for the neck and the sides of the mouth

In our practice, we use Restylane or Juvederm placed in the lateral area of the mouth has an excellent filler for that area.  We do not place fillers in the neck. A neck lift  or face/neck lift would be required to address loose neck skin, fatty deposits in the neck, and platysmal cords. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo  Gallery

Ulthera for the neck - Los Angeles

I would use the Ulthera procedure coupled with fractional co2 laser to address the neckline and neck muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Neck and Facial Lines

Without a picture, I cannot really evaluate what would be best for the lines. Typically, the lines around your nose and mouth can be treated with Radiesse with good results; this is what we most commonly use at my practice for the nasal labial folds. The neck lines can be treated (depending on their cause) by fillers or a neck lift. I recommend finding an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area and setting up a consult so you can get fully evaluated. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon