Get Rid of Neck Wrinkles

I would like to know the best filler for the neck, and the lines on each side of the mouth.

The tricky neck

vlyoung,

It depends on the depth of the fold and wrinkle in the neck but traditionally neck wrinkles are tough to treat as they are created from the dynamic function of a muscle called the platysma which enwraps the superficial structures of your neck and face.

Botox has been shown to be marginally effective in treatment to soften the folds but may require a high unit volume. In my experience, if you had a specific area of concern, i.e. a neck scar, filler may be beneficial but if there are broad areas that require treatment you might find yourself paying for a large amount of material with questionable benefit.

You may want to consider a surgical consult to identify all of your options both surgical and non-surgical prior to embarking on a possible misadventure in the neck.

Dr. Pryor

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm...

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm can create bruising or unsightly lumps in this location if it is not administered in small amounts and carefully. Human collagen can be used (Cosmoderm) for this as well.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers versus .....?

To tell you the truth, in my hands the best results are obtained with fat transfer. This is mainly because it is a large area and it is this superficial fat (above the platysma muscle) that is lost with time. So replacing it with your own tissue is most helpful. Similarly for the lines at the corner of the mouth fat can do wonders. 

Fat transfer in combination with fractional laser treatment is even more powerful for these issues. With the fat transfer we also transfer stem cells which help to rejuvenate the skin after the laser treatments. 

Fillers are always an option and if patients are set on fillers I am willing to offer that but the goal is to get the best results and make happy patients and in my hands  that is with fat and laser!

Hope this helps,

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for side of mouth and neck

Thank you for your question. For the sides of the mouth I prefer a filler such as Juvéderm, which is relatively soft and can be injected a superficial plane. This area can generate some bruising, however I feel that Juvéderm is effective and can be distributed in a proper fashion to prevent lumpiness.  Other fillers can sometimes a bit more firm.Regarding the neck, this area tends to be more complex and traditional fillers in general I do not use here. Lines in the neck are typically caused by dynamic function of the platysma muscle. This can be treated with Botox. I use this quite effectively. If you have any loose skin or bands, I would also consider a neck lift procedure which can achieve the goals that you desire.

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for neck lines

The best treatments for wrinkles on each side of the mouth are fillers like restylane or juvederm. I would not recommend fillers for lines in the neck area. Best treatment for neck lines is a neck lift that can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

How to rid my neck of wrinkles

How to rid my neck of wrinkles?

This is the question which we here frequently from patients. The indications for these wrinkles will often dictate the subsequent treatment options. If a patient has massive weight loss the wrinkles may be due to excess skin which is now accumulated. If the patient is a millennial and has been flexed over a smart phone for a period of time The treatment algorithm is very different. Many patients do not realize that they're overly expressive nature is actually leading to increased wrinkles in their neck due to increased mimetic forces on the skin which lead to break down of the collagen and elastic and therefore resulting in skin that does not bounce back after tension. Often the least invasive and fastest change for wrinkles is best delivered by aestheticians with either derma planning micro needling or laser Fraxel treatment. These are very good for fine lines and wrinkles and can achieve sustained results especially with good maintenance programs.  For deeper wrinkles and lines that may be a result of overly stretched skin due to age or weight loss more invasive procedures may be indicated to excise the excess skin and place the underlying platysma muscle under tension which helps carry and support the overlying skin to minimize the recurrence of wrinkles. This does involve a surgical procedure  which is often referred to as a neck lift. The neck lift can be done in conjunction with a facelift for a more complete facial and neck rejuvenation which can help turn back the clock on your appeared age as much as 10 years. A neck lift often involves an incision in the retro auricular  region and involves skin excision and re-draping to allow for the removal of the excess skin and to provide a contoured cheek neck transition with a defined jowl line that is smooth and contoured an appearance. When considering aesthetic rejuvenation keep in mind the concept of the aesthetic ladder and that as you move from noninvasive to minimally invasive to invasive procedures that your physician has these options available to them so that they may be able to provide your optimal results 

R. Brannon Claytor, MD, FACS
Bryn Mawr Plastic Surgeon

Best fillers for neck

Fillers in the neck can work but it really depends on the elasticity of the skin.  If there is poor skin tone or elasticity, placing fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm can give a lumpy appearance or no result at all.  If there is platysmal banding (vertical bands in the neck), this can be treated with Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin successfully but effects the skin mildly.  

Increasing neck skin tone with Sculptra or CO2 laser or both can help improve the appearance of the neck skin.  These procedures are performed by very few specialists so do your research and ask questions before allowing anyone to do these.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro-Botox

Without seeing the laxity of your neck skin and, or, muscles it is difficult to determine an optimal treatment.  However, Micro-Botox for the neck skin softens the lines, shrinks the pores and offers enhanced quality to the neck skin.  There are also a number of excellent skin care products that target the neck skin.  IPL, or intense pulsed light targets the pigmentation and sun damage of the face and neck.  It, also, assists in tightening the neck skin.  

Jeffrey S. Rosenthal, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for the marianotte lines

Any hyaluronic acid filler should work well in this area. Unfortunately, fillers do not have much of a role in the neck.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Options for Neck Wrinkles

I don't usually recommend using fillers in the neck area because of the vast array of potential side effects that can be caused from injecting in this delicate area. Botox can be an effective treatment for neck banding, however it's not the right treatment for everyone. I often recommend Ulthera to treat wrinkles in the neck. Ulthera is a non-invasive treatment that tightens the skin by re-stimulating collagen at a very deep level under the skin. My patients have been extremely happy with the results of their Ulthera treatment. In regard to treating lines on the sides of the mouth, I usually prefer to use Juvederm to inject in these areas. I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified physician who will be able to assess you and talk to you about your concerns. Most importantly, they will be able to narrow down your treatment options and let you know exactly what you are a good candidate for.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD