How Long Does a Neck Lift Last?

Hello. I'm 46 years old and although I have a youthful face, my neck gives away my age. It seemed to happen all of a sudden.

I really hate my neck, but I don't have the funds necessary to pay for a Neck lift and all that that involves without some type of financing. So, two questions: How long would a typical Neck lift last before having to get touch-ups, and what payment options are available? Thank you.

Neck Lifts- longevity

Neck lifts some times refer to an under the chin incision with liposuction and tightening. They do not tighten skin.

Most patients with your problem need a facelift in addition to a necklift. That way the skin is tightened.

Many patients with early signs of aging around the jowl and neck area benefit from a minilift, but this should be very carefully performed by an experienced facelift surgeon you have researched carefully, not a mass market clinic.

At your age, the average benefit would be about 5-7 years in the appearance of the face, but this varies widely depending on your skin type, what procedure exactly is performed, what additional procedures are being done, etc. 5-7 years would be an average of how long the patients felt the procedure lasted, althoiugh after a well done minilift or moreso even with a facelift there is permanent benefit.

Most offices do offer financing.

You are best seeking several consultations and doing it right, even if it means saving up. Wasting your money on minimally invasive solutions will probably delay your getting the proper procedure.

Necklift Longevity

Not all necklifts are created equally. Depending on your particular problem areas, a neck lift can involve liposuction, tightening of the muscles (corset), and skin tightening/lifting. With regards to longevity, you will look better than you would have without surgery. However, normal aging does continue to occur. Assuming your surgery is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon, your results can last 5-10 years.  

Most plastic surgeons will offer a variety of financing options through different companies such as Care Credit.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift

Neck lift longevfity really depends upon the individual. As for payment options  there are a number of compnaies that offer financing and I am sure most offices can help you arrange for this.

Long term results of Neck Lifts

The problem with trying to answer your question is that not all neck lifts are the same. When a patient comes to my office and requests a neck lift, we have to sit down and go over which parts of their neck they are concerned with, fat, skin, muscle, or all three. Depending on the amount of excess fat, the laxity of the skin, and the status of the muscles of your neck, the procedure will differ and so will the cost. The longevity of a neck lift result will also depend on how each of these elements are addressed but, should last 10 years when performed appropriately.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Longevity

Hi Gaylep. This is the most common question that a patient asks during consultation. The responsible surgeon should always answer that they do not know how long it will last. As a rule, the speed of aging is more a responsibility of the patient than the surgeon. Normally we tend to age in 7-10 years blocks. this means that every 7 to 10 years we realize in the mirror that we look older. Patients that have a lot of stress, taking care of an ill family member, not very good nights of sleep, CEO of a big corporation, business owners usually age at a faster rate; like every 3-5 years as compared to non stress patients.

In my practice I see this every single day. Patients that take care of themselves and have low stress will age slower after surgery. Patients that have high stress lives, will age a lot faster. the key on how you age is basically in your hands. As surgeons we can only get you from point A to point B in rejuvenation time. After that, you take more a commanding role on how fast you age and how long the results will last. On the best patients with low stress, a neck lift should last about 8-10 years before the cheeks start showing the aging signs and then it should require a touch up.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of a neck lift

Laxity and aging of the neck is a very common concern for many people. Several procedures can be performed to address this area including liposuction, a neck lift with or with out a platysmaplasty, skin excision, and gland removal to name a few. A well performed neck lift procedure should last 6-10 years as long as you take care of it. That means maintaining your weight and not fluctuating up and down, and taking good care of your skin especially with sunblocks. Which one of these procedures would be right for you would be discussed in a personal consultation with the surgeon, and this is critical. Lastly a multitude of financing options are available at most cosmetic offices to meet your specific needs.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does a Neck Lift Last and How to Pay for It

You are not alone.  Many women, at a certain point, look at their neck and say. “I really hate my neck!”  The problem due to the loss of volume in our face and neck that occurs as we get older as well as the loss of elasticity in our facial tissue, particularly the skin.  This results in that loose, saggy skin appearance and sometimes those muscle bands that you see in some necks.  The great news is that a neck lift can help and it is one of the higher satisfaction surgeries there are with a 95% rating on here on RealSelf. 

If you have a neck lift, the results will last a life time.  In other words, if we roll the clock back on your neck with a neck lift 10 years, you will always look 10 years younger.  The problem is that we cannot stop the aging process and the sagging will, at some point start to show up but your neck will always look better than if you did not have anything done.  If course, some maintenance, with good sunscreen, proper skin care and the fountain of youth; a good diet and routine exercise will help slow that aging process down.

Some surgeons would answer that it will be, on average, 10 years before you need another neck lift if you want to keep the same look.

How to pay for it is another question that is frequently asked.  Most surgeons do make a cosmetic surgery payment plan available to you through companies such as Care Credit and Alpheon.  Make sure you take a close look at their payment plans as sometimes you find cheaper payment plans through the bank or credit cards.

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right by "report".  Thanks.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Longevity

Thank you for your question.  I advice most of my patients to combine facelift and necklift, as their biggest concerns being their jowls and neck, therefore giving continuity and a well defined jawline.  Please ensure the procedure will target your SMAS muscle as well as the skin, this should give a longevity of 7-10 years.  This will vary widely depending on your skin type, what type of procedure is performed, if any other procedures are being combined etc.  
Please ask the clinic if they offer finance options, most will do.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve, even if this means saving up for a little while longer (ensure you do not choose a surgeon pure based on price)
All The Best 

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question! Although there can be significant variability between patients regarding longevity of a neck lift, I usually tell patients that it is approximately 10 years. If you have significant neck skin laxity, then a formal facelift is usually the best approach. If it is primarily a problem with submental fat or platysmal bands, then tightening the muscle along with liposuction can be addressed with a direct approach under the chin. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Neck Lift Results

The longevity of neck lift results vary based on the expertise, experience, and technique of the surgeon. Moreover, there are patient specific considerations that will affect longevity including age, overall health, elasticity of your skin, smoking,etc.

Neck lift fee like other aesthetic procedures vary greatly across the country and even in the same area. Costs in South Florida tend to be lower than more expensive cities such as New York or Los Angeles, or in areas with fewer board certified plastic surgeons. We charge starting at $3500 + MD Anesthesia Related Costs for a Neck Lift.

To ensure the best possible quality care at reasonable fees, consult with board certified plastic surgeons who own their own nationally accredited centers.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS