Neck Lift Recovery

What to expect during neck lift recovery? Does it take a long time to heal? Will I need a lot of help around the house?

Neck Lift Recovery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While everyone is different and as a result each neck lift patient will recover from their neck lift surgery differently, the recovery from a neck lift can be surprisingly quick, especially if your surgeon uses a rapid recovery protocol.  A rapid recovery protocol includes a twilight combined with tumescent anesthesia, no drains, removal of the dressing the next day, hot showers the next day and up and around walking the next day.  I encourage my patients to get outside for a walk the next day and do not restrict activities like lifting or bending over.  Some work out fanatics have been back to the gym the next day on a spin bike or doing a light workout at home.  You should not need any help the next day. 

With this method, my patients are generally able to get back to work within a week.  The big problem is usually the residual swelling that does not look bad but people who know you well will likely notice the swelling and hopefully an improvement in your appearance.  There will be bruising but this can always be covered up with makeup.  With this technique, you will not need any narcotics and all my patients ever use is some Aleve or something similar.

You should love the results.  Everyone who has a neck lift in my practice is thrilled with their outcome.  The saggy neck is an aged look and correcting can be one of the best things you can do for your looks!

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Neck lift recovery

Very hard question to give a definitive answer. Some can recover in days others at least 6 weeks. There are so many intervening factors that is why an in person evaluation from a boarded surgeon is in order. Best of luck!

Neck lift recovery varies with the type of lift performed

Neck lift recovery can vary from 1-2 weeks, depending on how involved/complete the necklift was. In the more "mini" type lifts, most patients look good after only 1 week, and can resume full activity in 2 weeks.

With full, thorough, built-to-last necklifts, or those that involve more than simple liposuction and limited tightening of the platysma, bruising and swelling can extend to (and even beyond) the second week.

In either case, I ask my patients to avoid blood thinning medications, and excercise beyond easy walking, for 2 weeks after surgery.

I would recommend an adult at home with you for the first 24 hours; you should easily be able to look after yourself after that.

Neck lift recovery is quite short.

Provided there are no complications, most necklift patients can return to reasonable daily activity the day after surgery.  There may be some bruising and visible sutures that can contribute to social downtime, but physically I want my patients up and about immediately.  By 2 weeks all the sutures have been removed and obvious swelling and bruising is gone.  Improvement, however, in the final outcome might be visible for many months.

Neck lift recovery! Get some help, But not too much

Wether your face lift is done under local anesthesia or under General anesthesia  your postoperative recovery will be very similar. After your procedure you will be dressed in the head wrap that extends from your neck to your four head and from your chin to the back of your head. This rap is often placed snuggly to help minimize  swelling but also to provide comfort and care for you in this recovery period. Many patients will have drains in during this first 24 hour period of time and will need assistance emptying the drains. Often patients are not allowed to shower for the first 24 hours and return to the office the next day to have the drains removed and to examine the  wounds for any signs of hematoma or when healing challenges. After the first dressing change many patients are allowed to go home and shower. This is a welcome relief  and having someone to help with showering at this early postoperative stage is a benefit. Many patients continue on gentle oral pain medications or even muscle relaxer and's during this early postoperative period and benefit from help getting around the house help with providing for meals and general assistance. So to answer the question about how much help you need the answer is definitely!

However depending on the technique utilized there may be limited bruising and limited swelling following the procedure and often patients are able to wean off their medications in a short period of time and able to resume limited regular activities. Some patients are able to venture out to do simple chores with a Jackie Onassis head wrap on or a scarf to help them conceal their postoperative results. 

As the discomfort resolves and less medication as needed obviously there is less of a need for help with activities of daily living as people resume their activity. By the time patients return for their one week postop visit to have their sutures removed many patients are driving themselves. 

Recovery may be less than you think

Let me start by saying that patients who undergo a necklift are usually so thrilled when they see the improvement in the appearance of their neck on the first postoperative day that it makes the recovery seem worth every day!  That said, similar to other surgical procedures, there is some variability in the recovery from patient to patient.  In general, the recovery is about 7 to 10 days.  The answer also depends in part on what you mean by "recovery".  Some patients feel great and ready to return to work in 3 or 4 days, while some feel like they need to take it easy for longer periods of time.  Some patients have very little swelling and bruising, while others may have more of both for a longer duration.  Regardless of the recovery, patients are generally delighted with the results that can be achieved with a necklift, and very happy they elected to do it.

Lisa Ishii, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corset platysmaplasty

Not all neck lifts are the same. Over the last 4 years, I have used the corset platysmaplasty with great success. The recovery is typically one week and the results have withstood the test of time. Furthermore, I have been able to make even the worst necks look beautiful.

Duration for neck lift recovery & what to expect

A neck lift involves removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle, as well as a platysma-plasty. This is more than just simple Liposuction of the neck. A neck lift recovery will take approximately two weeks to make sure all the bruising and swelling is gone after the surgery. It is important not to take any aspirin or ibuprofen for two weeks before and after the surgery, and it is also important not to perform any exercise or heavy-duty lifting or strenuous activities for two weeks after the surgery. for many examples, please see link below to our neck lift photo gallery

Recovery for Neck Lift surgery

I normally combine neck lift surgery with facelift surgery. As the face ages the neck usually also has lost some elasticity and begins to sag. My fees for facelift always include the neck and I believe it to be one of the important part of the facial surgery.

Recovery for this surgery is about 6 days and clients find this surgery has a very quick and not painful recovery period. Clients are seen post-operatively in my practice at 6 days and many of the stitches are removed. I have very little bruising with this surgery and most clients return to work the following week after surgery.

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Necklift recovery is surprisingly easy

I agree with the other doctors posts that a necklift has a realtively easy recovery. Most of my patients have very little need for pain medication afterwards. There is also usually little brusing and just mild swelling. Most patients feel comfotable being out in public after 4-5 days and I have had many patients fly back home looking good at 9 days postop.

Robert B. Pollack, MD