Nasion Surgery? (photo)

Hello, I'm an 20 year-old African-American male and the space directly between my eyes (I believe referred to as the 'nasion') is extremely deep. Because of this depth, it adds a really unattractive slouch to my glabella/nasion area. Is there any type of procedure that would be able to fix this issue? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 12

Nasion elevation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This a natural for fat grafting. HE IS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NOSE .jost the space from the brow to the nasal bones. 2 to 4 cc of fat artistically injected should easily minimize the problem

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Deep radix treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several ways to address the deep groove between your eyes that you are unhappy with:

  • Cartilage grafting using your own cartilage (septum or ear)
  • Soft tissue filler treatment using either your own fat or a product such as restylane
  • Silicone implantation

Check with an experienced surgeon to discuss what treatment would be best for you.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

African American Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


What you want to raise is the nasion or the nasofrontal angle. The best long term solution for this is a custom carved silastic implant. I have performed hundreds of these. You can see many examples on my website. See links below.



Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 285 reviews

Fixing A Deep Radix Is The Way To Go

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Devansel,

Based on your photos, it seems that you will need one of the following two options:

1. A graft (cartilage or silicone) to fill the radix.

2. A filler (fat or restylane).

That being said, it is not as simple as it may sound and an experienced surgeon is the one who could help you the best.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 205 reviews

Fill the ditch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several excellent ideas have already been presented regarding "softening" your deep Nasion/Radix region.  I would consider something rather permanent (like a customized silastic nasal implant).

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Options For Nasal Root Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are numerous options to build up the bridge of the nose from injectable fillers to implants to cartilage grafts. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Injectable fillers are best used if you simply want to find out if the change produces the look you want. If not, most are reversible as they will be absorbed. A permanent result requires either a synthetic implant or a cartilage graft. Most patients opt for a synthetic implant because it is simpler and does not require a donor site.

Deep Radix = angry look

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi. The issue you describe is a commonly seen problem. Typically a graft is used to add height in the bastion or radix. Cartilage or silicone is often used. In the setting of ethnic rhinoplasty, where augmentation is typically used, this makes a lot of sense. 

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 55 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your posted photos show a wider than usual spacing between the inner corners of the eyes. This makes the depression in the nasion seem more profound. Moving the inner corners closer together is a very big operation. My suggestion would be to put something temporary in the nasion area such as an injectable filler or even sterile salt water. If you are happy with the result then proceed. There are implants available that are specifically made for the nasion or radix and are more reliant and permanent solutions than injectable fillers..

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Please send better picture and lateral view

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The kind of procedure will depend on the degree of depression and your expectation. You can try fillers like Juvaderm as a temporary fix and if you were happy with result,try fat grafting.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Complex nasal contour with depression

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a condition that might be characterized as hypertelorism which refers to a wide space between your eyes.  This is more noticeable becasue of the depression in the "nasion."


Improvement can be expected with a grafting procedure to build up the nasal dorsum from the area at the top of the nose on down.


Soft tissue grafting may not be adequate here because soft tissue does not provide enough support to generate the ridge that is important for dorsal contouring (this is a game of light and shadow and a sturdy narrow ridge is needed here).  A cartilage graft would be the best, although some surgeons have had good success with silicone implants.


Be very careful what you decide to do here.  My strongest recommendation for best results is a cartilage graft.  If you contact me directly I can show you some pictures of similar cases I have treated in this way.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.