Still lots of swelling; how long does it take to see final results?

So, I am now 5 weeks out from a 360 body lift. The front of my abdomen is swollen, but, it seems to be improving, however, my love handles and back are still retaining lots of fluid and are swollen. I know the dr. had to unfurl my skin in that area and he did a significant amount of liposuction. I assume that this is normal swelling due to those factors, however, I am worried as my pre surgery pants all do not fit. How long does it take to see final results? 6 months to a year?

Swelling after circumferential body lift

You are right, it takes at least 6 months for the swelling to mostly resolve, but really even longer for the complete result.Be patient and you should be able to start increasing your activity and exercise soon, with the ok of your surgeon.

Good luck, 

Dr Steve Merten, Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Body lift recovery -

Thank you for asking about your lower body lift.
  • Your swelling sounds quite normal.
  • Surgical swelling actually takes 18 months to fully subside but most occurs in the first 6 months.
  • Your clothes won't fit well as long as you are swollen -
  • Be sure to see your surgeon to be sure everytihng is healing well 6 weeks after surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Still lots of swelling after body lift: how long does it take to see final results?

After liposuction and a circumferential body lift, it will take at least 3 to 6 months for all of your swelling to subside, and it could take up to a year in some patients. You are probably still swollen at this point, so I wouldn't be too concerned about how your clothes fit. Continue to follow up with your surgeon to get the best results.

Too soon for finals...

Thanks for your question and congratulations on achieving your body lift surgery. I advice my patients that it takes 18 months to achieve the final appearance with an extensive procedure like a body lift. Everyone is different and it is probably best to seek the advice of your surgeon for the most accurate answers in your case. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

When Will I See My Final Results after Lower Body Lift? #lowerbodylift

• Of all the operations we perform for body contouring, the lower body lift has the most swelling (edema) associated with it. 
  • Also, the lower body lift operation has the potential to have a major and hugely positive impact on our major weight loss patients' lives!
  • It can take one year until all of the swelling dissipates after a lower body lift. 
  • Hang in there, be patient, and definitely run your concerns by your plastic surgeon. 
  • Thanks for sharing!