Can my Slightly Bulging Eyes Be Pushed Back?

I don't think I have thyroid disease; my eyes are most likely inherited from my dad since he has ones similar to mine. Instead of fat grafting, can my eyeballs be recessed by surgery to eliminate the lower eyelid bulge that causes an undereye shadow?

Doctor Answers 3

Bulging Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although this is possible it is not recommended. This is not a simple question and the answer lies in your specific examination and have a blood test to rule out thyroid disease.

First of all just to see if you are a candidate you will need a complete workup.. In particular you need to have what is called Hertel meaurements by an Opthamologist. Essentially a Hertel Exophthalmometer is used which is  an instrument designed to measure the forward protrusion of the eyeball. Then you also need to measure the orbital volume using a CT scan.


Bottom Line - see an experience Plastic Surgeon or Ocuoplastic Surgeon to discuss options.It is far easier to "readjust the lower lid bulge" than the alternative you suggest.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Proptosis, the medical term for bulgy eyes, is most often caused by thyroid eye disease. But there are some patients that have the same problem because of shallow orbits [small eye sockets] and/or big eyes [in cases of severe myopia or near-sightedness].

These patients can also have problems with dry eye or tearing and can benefit from orbital decompression with successful results.

Consult an Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find a well trained one near you by visiting ASOPRS dot org.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Bulging eyes: what can be done?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The short answer is yes, but it is rarely done unless the eyes are being forced out of the sockets by something like thyroid eye disease. In many cases, the position of the eyelids can be altered to improve the appearance of prominent eyes. An orbital surgeon would make careful measurements of your eye and eyelid positions and could counsel you on potential surgical options. In some cases implants to enhance the areas around the eyes, such as a cheek implant are recommended. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.