Why are my eyes uneven? What is this called? (Photo)

It's been like this since i was a kid. Can it be fixed without surgery? Im pregnant, will my daughter's eyes be like that too ?

Doctor Answers 11

Uneven eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many different situations can lead to uneven eyelids. Some of these can be treated non-surgically and conservatively, even using some very advanced injection techniques with filler or very precise placement of Botox. Some situations truly do require surgery to resolve. 

It is important that you seek a consultation with an eyelid expert to delineate the exact cause and treatment options.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut

#realself500 Physician

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 121 reviews

I Notice Asymmetry, Unevenness of My Eyes. Does This Need Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The picture is illustrative of what everyone has, facial asymmetry. In addition there is slight droopiness of the right lid. It is not clear which of these aspects you are inquiring about. With facial asymmetry, one side of the face does not look like the other. It is often most noticeable when the facial skeleton differences make one eye look higher or further from the midline than the other. Your eyelid folds themselves are very even and look like each other. Sometimes surgery is done to make the lid folds look the same on each side, but this is not the case here. The slight droop of the right upper lid over the iris does not necessarily need correcting as it seems to be more related to the lower position of the right bony orbit. If this small detail bothered you, it can be evaluated by a plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon with an interest in ptosis (droopy lid) repair.

We all have to learn to live with our imperfections, but it helps to know that facial, body, chest, breast asymmetry are almost universal, if you get in the habit of looking for it.

If you ever get a chance to get a Mirror imaging, at a plastic surgeon's office, or with some other software, you can see each side of the face or body, split down the middle and flipped over so the full image is the mirror image of one side put together. It is startling to see how different we are, almost different, unrecognizable people, from side to side.

Ptosis can be hereditary, but in the absence of a definite family history with other associated physical changes, it would seem to be of low likelihood.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Droopy eyelid since childhood

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • Your right upper lid comes lower than your left, down to your pupil,
  • On the R more eyelid shows compared to the L because the lid droops.
  • Assuming you had it from childhood, with no eyelid injury, the condition is called congenital eyelid ptosis
  • The cause is the muscle that lifts the lid.
  • Surgery can be done to correct this.
  • See a Board Certified Plastic or Opthalmoplastic surgeon.
  • There is a chance your daughter's eyes will have a similar correctable problem.
  • Best wishes.

Eyelid Surgery | Congenital Ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and a picture.

You appear to have congenital ptosis which may or may not be inherited.  Surgery can correct this after your pregnancy.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons to occuloplastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Congenital eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy).  It sounds like it is congenital for you.  There is a small chance that your child will have too.  Treatment is ptosis surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Uneven eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You appear to have ptosis( drooping) of the right upper lid, this occurs when the muscle that opens the eye doesn't work well. This could be congenital (born with it), or acquired [due to surgery or trauma].  The treatment for this is surgical.  During the surgery the eyelid muscle is repaired.  If it is congenital, there is a very small possibility that your daughter could have a similar problem.

Usha Rajagopal, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Ptosis of the eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your eyelids are unequal because of what is called ptosis of the Right upper eyelid. The muscle does not open that eye as widely as the left. Surgery is the only treatment and you have a consultation and consider surgery after your pregnancy. Your child will not ncecessarily have a similar problem.

Ronald Iverson, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis! What is it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have Right upper eyelid ptosis.  What on Earth is that?   Ptosis has many causes but it is all related to the function of the levator muscle of the eyelid.  The levator muscle opens your upper eyelid.   If the levatior is stretched, or weak, or has a congenital laxity your eyelid will droop a bit over your eye.  This can even cause vision difficulty.  This can easily be corrected by a simple ptosis operation.  My Best,  Dr C

You have right upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Surgery is needed to fix the issues but these is no urgency.  Your heavy upper eyelid is mild.  Having this fixed is entirely up to you and should not be done while you are pregnant or breast feeding.  There is no medical treatment for this.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You have a ptosis of theight upper eyelid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your upper eyelid is low which is called a ptosis.  See an oculoplastic surgeon and they can decide what type of surgery would be best to correct this problem.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.