My Eyelids Are Different, I Had Stye Twice in my Life and I Think That Was the Cause of Uneven Eyelids. What Can I Do? (photo)

I really want to have similar eyelids, what should i do? is the only way to do this through surgery? fyi, i've had stye for about 3 weeks and it's coming down now, that is why i have a bump on my left eyelid

Doctor Answers 7

Chalazion (eyelid sty)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chalazion is an eyelid sty that doesn't go away.  It results from blocked tear glands in the eyelids, secondary to thick oil and blepharitis.  It can cause mechanical eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid) and eye irritation, or it can be subtle.  Treatment options for chalazion include local injection with steroid and/or excision.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

You have a large chalazion in the left upper eyelid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A stye refers to acute swelling and inflammation of an eyelid.  Often when the stye resolves, what you are left with is a chalazion.  This is a organized inflammatory nodule that is caused by oils from a plug meibomian gland leaking into the eyelid.  The oils are very irritating and the body attacks them which produced the initial inflammation (stye) and ultimately this organizes into the chalazion.  These can persist.  An injection of kenalog usually resolves these without the necessity of surgery, which is generally very destructive to eyelid tissue.  When the chalazia is resolved the ptosis should also resolve.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

My Eyelids Are Different, I Had Stye Twice in my Life and I Think That Was the Cause of Uneven Eyelids. What Can I Do? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like you have ptosis of your left upper eyelid.  Surgery can fix this.  A stye can make your eyelid droop as well so that needs to be accounted for as well.  You should see an Oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in ptosis surgery.  It is likely that your surgery, if needed, can be performed from the inside of your eyelid, avoiding a scar.  Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Lump on Upper Eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Eye Guy,

You may have a cyst below the skin of your eyelid.  Best to consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for proper diagnosis and treatment.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Non Surgical Solution

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The eyes are the windows to the soul. All too often, however, they seem to reveal exhaustion. The very delicate skin around the eyes tends to get crepey and puffy due to fatigue and stress. While it's difficult to determine without an examination and consultation, an effective non-surgical option that might benefit you is Thermage, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. The new and improved Thermage is a virtually painless, non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Asymmetric Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to evaluate the asymmetry until the bump resolves.  Use warm compresses and see an Ophthalmologist.  Once the blocked gland has cleared, make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your options for adjusting the lid on the right or the left to match the opposite side.  

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You appear to have what is known as a chalazion, not a stye. It usually resolves without treatment, but best to see an ophthalmologist for confirmation.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.