Would a tummy tuck reduce my love handles. (photos)

I'm going to have a tummy tuck but am unclear as to whether I need lipo on my love handles or will they just be pulled in by me having a tummy tuck. I don't like they way my love handles currently fall over my legs. Whene having my tummy tuck where should I get liposuction to improve my figure and give me more definition?

Tummy tuck and love handles

Liposuction of the flanks or love handles can be performed at the same time as a tummy tuck. Also, depending upon where your surgeon places the incision will also help address the flank areas.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Would a tummy tuck reduce my love handles.

It is possible to achieve great results with lipo of the flanks in addition to a TT but in your case an extended TT is required to fully address these areas. Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

If you have excess fat in your love handles a standard tummy tuck will not correct that. You will also need liposuction.  It is common to have the liposuction in that area as part of the tummy tuck.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, you appear to be an excellent candidate for  tummy tuck or extended tummy tuck surgery.  Liposuction alone may be sufficient to treat the "love handles"; on the other hand, some patients elect to have liposuction as well as skin excision done on the flank areas. This "extension" of the tummy tuck procedure is often referred to as an extended tummy tuck.  Ultimately, which operation you choose to undergo will depend mainly on your goals, best communicated carefully with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full length mirror.

The "extended" tummy tuck surgery refers to an extension of the abdominoplasty incision to the flanks/lower back area; this operation is helpful when patients wish to improve the appearance of the sides (flanks)/lower back areas. In other words, the operation extends from the anterior abdominal wall to the flanks and back areas,  often involving additional skin/tissue excision and liposuction surgery.

In my practice, I recommend the extended tummy tuck to patients who have significant "excess" of adipose tissue and/or skin of the flank and back areas, where liposuction surgery alone will not suffice.  Patients who have lost skin elasticity in these areas, have a significant amount of diet/exercise adipose issue in these areas, and/or who wish to wear low riding jeans after surgery (and do not want to have a "muffin top" when they bend sideways) are potentially good candidates for the extended tummy tuck operation.   I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

This is definitely a questions for your PS as we all include different things with our "tummy tuck". If you have excess fat in your love handles a standard tummy tuck will not correct that. You will also need liposuction. I include liposuction to the upper abdomen and waistline in my standard tummy tuck which means the lateral aspect of the love handles are liposucitoned. If you have a lot of volume towards the midline in the back, then I would charge for an additional area of liposuction. Again, PS all do things differently, so make sure you ask your PS. 

Tummy Tuck with or without Liposuction

The vast majority of my patients elect to have liposuction of the flanks at the same time as their abdominoplasty. While it is generally true that the waist narrows a bit with the abdominoplasty, there is still usually a distinct area of fatty tissue that remains along the sides. Liposuction at the same time as the abdominoplasty also helps to smooth out the "end" of the incision, where sometimes there can be a little fullness.  Most patients like to have this area smoothed out at the same time. If you are not sure, you can always have the abdominoplasty first, and return for liposuction later. Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Achieving the Optimal Body Contour

Thank you very much for your question and your photographs. A tummy tuck will eliminate excess skin and fat along the abdomen, but it will not address your love handles, or flanks. However, it is common to combine liposuction with an abdominoplasty for optimal body contouring results. The combination of these two techniques can smooth your stomach and eliminate your love handles. Schedule an in-person consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to discuss your tummy tuck options. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Tummy tuck with liposuction

I normally perform liposuction during a tummy tuck when necessary. You should ask your surgeon if they do as well. I find it really helps in achieving a nicer result. A tummy tuck would definitely improve your love handles, and liposuction would further enhance the contour of the area.

GreetingsThank you for your question and photo tummy tuck can not solve your problem of love handles you will need Liposuction procedure..

Love Handle Lipo with Tummy Tuck

I personally consider the love handle area as a part of the abdomen and liposuction of that area is a part of abdominal rejuvenation when needed. You, therefore, need to discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon