Did I get botched on tummy tuck? (Photos)

I had my surgery on July 11 .. A full tummy tuck .. I feel I been botched am I over reacting .. Dr states that I'm still recovering and still swollen . My belly button is to low he said because supposedly my belly dint move .. Also he only perform lipo of the flanks .. He says if I loose 20 pounds I will start noticing the difference.. Please tell me if this is a good surgery or not

Botched tummy tuck?

Not in my opinion... but  seeing what you started with would help better allow others to judge your results from your procedure.  As for the comment to lose weight, that seems a little insensitive and something that should have been discussed before your procedure as if you had the ability to lose weight, it should ALWAYS be done prior to any contouring procedures.  Regardless, its always best to work your issues out with your surgeon as your surgeon should share your desires for the best outcome possible as your results reflect his work and will impact his reputation for his skills.  In my practice, my patients are all told to anticipate revisions if they seek perfect results.

Botched tummy tuck

Hi, I don't think botched is the correct word.  It does not appear that you have had any complications.  It sounds like your expectations were, however, different from what your results are.  It really does take several months for all of the swelling to resolve.  I recommend a healthy diet and exercise in the meantime.  If you have diet resistant fat rolls then you may be a good candidate for liposuction to get further contouring.  Good luck!

Unhappy Tummy Tuck

Hello,This is not 'botched', it's just not what you expected. The best thing you can do is to eat well and exercise for the six months or so while you heal, so that you can be in the best shape possible. At that point, re-evaluate.  If you are not happy, go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in revision surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck: What is a Good Result

Thank you for your question regarding the outcome of your tummy tuck.  It is hard to know about your outcome with your after pictures alone.  Some before photos will be of help to evalutate things. Body weight does play a role in the results of the procedure.  If you were significantly overweight when you had the procedure done, your results would be more limited.  I always encourage patients to lose some weight prior to the procedure if they are on the heavy side, because it allows more skin to be removed and the abdominal muscle lining to be tightened more.  In your case, some weight loss will definitely help.  Some distension and bloating is typical for the first few months after surgery.   I would revisit with your doctor in the future as you heal more and lose a bit of weight to discuss your results and options should a touch--up procedure be of value.Best wishes,    Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Post-Op Healing Time

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.
These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.It may be important to consider all of these pieces of post-operative healing, especially since there can be continuous swelling or unsettled scars. If you are concerned or uncomfortable at all it would be a good idea to have an appointment with your surgeon and have the area evaluated to make sure it is healing properly. Best of luck!

The word "botched" is thrown around so much now, yet it is a very strong word indeed!

Having plastic surgery shows, like "Botched," in the mainstream media is a good thing on the one hand because, if done properly, they can educate people about a topic which is very much in the public eye right now.  But, they can also be harmful to an extent too, as they can lean more toward the "entertainment value," and create drama and emotion where none should really exist.  The prevalence of the word "botched" in our society lately is a prime example of this in my opinion.  To the credit of those involved with the TV show, including my colleagues who "star" on the show, its producers, and mostly the people who market the concept and get it out there so that everyone seems to know about it, this show, and consequently the word that it accentuates, are out there in everyday speech.  The problem with this is that now every less-than-satisfactory result or realistic potential complication of this type of surgery is a "botched surgery."  The fact of the matter is that surgery is a risky proposition to some degree, no matter what.  As board certified plastic surgeons we are all very highly educated and trained in what we do.  For the most part, things that we do turn out well.  Admittedly, no surgeon, or patient, is perfect, though, and sometimes things don't turn out exactly the way we want them to.  Unfortunately, the tens of thousands of cases that turn out well in this country everyday are not "newsworthy" or exciting enough to make it on a TV show.  And, the instances in which something may not turn out exactly as planned go all the way to the "botched" category.  I personally find very few instances in which I would say that the surgery was actually "botched."  To me, "botching" something means that there was some element of inattention, incompetence, carelessness, or intentional wrongdoing that led to a poor outcome or a complication.  Something below the standard of care that most reasonable and properly trained surgeons would do.  There is no question that there are some surgeons who are better at some things than others, and there are some cases that are more challenging than others, even for very skilled surgeons.  These, to me, are the factors that are most likely to lead to an unsatisfactory outcome; not that the surgeon "botched" the case.  As far as your own case goes, from the standpoint of the aesthetic result, that is a very subjective judgment, and much of that depends upon where you started from.  This could simply be an issue of an unmet expectation, and perhaps the thing that your surgeon really "botched," if anything was "botched" at all, was the preoperative consultation and setting of realistic expectations.  I don't know this for sure, as I haven't seen any preoperative images, I haven't examined you, and I wasn't involved with your surgery or care.  But it is definitely something to consider.  It may be that compared to how you looked before surgery, your current status is pretty good, all things considered.  This is not to say that things turned out exactly as YOU wished, but it recognizes that there may have been some improvement in certain aspects of your body.  Additionally, you are barely 7 weeks postop, and that is VERY early.  Things will definitely change, and we all have to be patient and allow the body to heal.  In any event, in your situation it is WAY too early to even begin throwing around terms like "botched."  If you had experienced severe infections, tissue loss or wound breakdown, distortion of anatomy or other deformity, or some other really serious thing like that we might have grounds for a discussion about a "botched" case here, but I see no evidence of that, nor do I read any of that in your post.  At this point my advice is to soften the rhetoric about surgery being "botched," be sure to communicate openly and honestly with your surgeon about all of your concerns, and be patient for now and follow his instructions closely.  He wants you to be happy, I'm sure, and as things heal, if there are issues that need to be addressed later, or revisions that might need to be made in order to meet your goals if possible, you will both be in a better position to work together toward your common goals of making you happy.    And leave the emotional terminology like "botched" in Hollywood where it belongs!  I know some of my words may come across as harsh, and if that is so, I apologize.  They are not directed to you personally as much as to the concept of "botched" surgery and the people that would use terms like that simply to stir up emotion.  I truly do wish you (and your surgeon) all the best as your healing progresses!