Dissolvable stitch poking out of crease (Photo)

The photo is blurry but it is the white dot on the crease line (near beginning of eye). It has been 4 days since my upper blepharoplasty operation and just now I noticed that a "loop" of the dissolvable stitches are poking out of the crease. I take pictures everyday and it only came out today. It's bery small but I'm worried it won't dissolve since it's poking out. It is difficult for me to see my surgeon, since he is in a different city.

Dissolvable stitch in lid crease

It is best not to manipulate or pull on the skin around an incision. Dehiscence of the incision may occur and you could be left with scarring. Dissolvable stitches must be moist to dissolve - so application of ophthalmic ointment (or what your surgeon prescribed for post-operative care) will help to eliminate this remnant of suture material. If your next appointment with your surgeon is in a week or two, there should be no adverse consequence of lubricating the incision until then. If you develop other symptoms, then call and move your appointment to see him/her sooner. Best wishes with your recovery.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture issue

You might want to discuss this with your surgeon to see if he wants to trim it.  Best of luck with your results.

EXPOSED SUTURE

The first thing is to advise to stop putting stress on this fresh incision line by pulling down the skin. You may be contributing to dehiscence forming. Follow your surgeons post-op directions especially with regards to application of any topical product on the incision line. Return for your scheduled follow up and discuss your concern with your surgeon. Based on the picture you've posted, there is nothing worrisome.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

This may or may not be a suture.

I recommend seeing your surgeon for this.  If it is suture, it should be removed.  These can become more irritated.  If you can't see your surgeon, see a local oculoplastic surgeon for care.

Dissolvable stitch coming out

it is not uncommon for dissolvable sutures to occasionally become exposed before they are completely dissolved.   This is nothing to be concerned about. Generally speaking, that suture should be removed.   If it is not removed, it can continue to cause irritation of the surrounding skin. It is possible that it will eventually resolve on its own, however I would recommend removal.    I do not use absorbable sutures on the upper eyelid incision when I do an upper blepharoplasty.  I would recommend calling your surgeon's office for advice.  One of the disadvantages of choosing a surgeon in a different city is that it is difficult  for you to follow up for evaluation if there are any complications. This is something that all patients should consider when they choose their surgeon.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Stitch extrusion

Thanks for the photo. I think that you are absolutely correct this is indeed an extruding suture. Sometimes dissolving sutures are used internally and it looks like your surgeon has used a particular kind of suture called Vicryl which is notorious for this kind of problem. The suture should dissolve, but how long this will take will depend on the thickness of suture used which will range from days to months. If it is really bothering you, I would find a local oculoplastic surgeon who can remove this very easily.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Absorbable suture sticking out

Thank you for sharing your question. You do not need to worry. The loop will probably fall off as the suture dissolves. Good luck,