Will my parents be able to tell I got lip injections?

I'm 18 years old. My parents would never let me get lip injections and if they found out they would be very mad. I plan to get juvederm or something like that. I want it to look really natural and for it to just subtly make me look better. I'm wondering is bruising and stuff common? I could have a sleepover at my friends house after and would it be better to go home the next day?

Lip injections

Hello, and thanks for your question. There is a good chance they would notice, in particular if you have swelling and/or bruising immediately after, both of which are relatively common.I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

What To Expect After Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Swelling and bruising is normal after treatment with an injectable filler, especially in the lips.  Swelling typically peaks at 48-72 hours after treatment.  Icing for up to 48 hours after the procedure is helpful for minimizing expected swelling and bruising.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  I would say that your parents are very likely to notice.  If you decide to move forward with lip augmentation, please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to discuss your goals and expectations and to ensure that you are a good candidate for the procedure.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Thank you for your excellent question.  Due to the thin tissues of the lips they have a tendency of swelling after any treatment which will be noticeable for the first few days after your injections.  Bruising may be able to be hidden with lipstick or other cover-ups but I do think your parents would be able to tell.  

Lip injections

Regardless of how small of an amount of filler is used in the lips there is always a risk of bruising and swelling.  Sometimes the risk of bruising is minimized with a cannula but swelling is almost always inevitable.   Ensure you see a board certified plastic surgeon/dermatologist.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Although lip fillers do great and look natural if done with skill and expertise, swelling and bruising is common after injections, and results will be optimal at 10-14 days. Please see a board certified cosmetic dermatologist for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Yes, they will notice. Most lip injections create swelling that peaks around 2-3 days after the treatment. During those first three days your lips can be significantly swollen even with very conservative injections. It is unlikely that you will be able to keep this hidden from your parents. Best to discuss with them prior to the treatment.
Stephen Weber MD, FACSDenver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime of Lip Augmentation with Fillers

Lip augmentation can provide a natural result with a conservative treatment however there is typically swelling after treatment even with a conservative amount of filler. Bruising is a risk as well. It can take approximately 2 weeks to see optimal results from the treatment. Having an experienced injector is key in providing a natural result.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician