I'm 2 weeks out of surgery and had fat grafting to lips and I look and feel ridiculous. (photo)

My upper lip is numb and doesn't even move when I talk. Can i take prednisone? What can I do to shrink? Surgeon says to wait, but I want to wait,as I am an executive in a large company and this is extremely uncomfortable. I asked for MINIMAL enhancement and feel this is excessive. Thanks in advance for guidance.

Post Fat Transfer Swelling To Lips

Swelling is common after this procedure, as fat grafting to the lips will take longer to resolve. I suggest following up with your physician if you are seeking steroid treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer

Lip Augmentation

Swelling after this procedure is quite normal, as is slight over correction to maintain your result. Follow up with your surgeon for possible steroid treatment or other options. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Fat grafting to lips

Fillers or fat to the lips can cause a lot of swelling.  Steroids would only be a temporary fix.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

I'm 2 weeks out of surgery and had fat grafting to lips and I look and feel ridiculous.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the lips they have a tendency towards significant swelling after any treatment.  Unfortunately this swelling is masking your long-term results and needs time to resolve. In addition some of the fat transferred will not live and will be reabsorbed by the body over the next several weeks.  I know waiting is difficult but you need to allow at least a 2-4 weeks to go by before assessing your resultsl.  In the meantime to reduce the swelling present consider using cold compresses, arnica montanta and bromelain supplements, and sleeping with a few extra pillows behind your head.  Hope that this helps.

2 weeks after fat grafting to lips

Swelling will vary from person to person after fat grafting, which generally has more swelling as compared to filler injections (ex. Juvederm) to the lips. Yes, prednisone can help reduce swelling. Other methods to reduce facial swelling include keeping your head elevated, drinking plenty of water, avoiding excess salt and processed foods, lymphatic massage, ice, and arnica montana tablets.
Best.Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon