(Levulan Blue Light Therapy) vs. (Laser Genesis + Chemical Peels) for acne and pitted scarring on Indian skin? (Photo)

I've been diagnosed with acne vulgaris grade 2 by my dermatologist and recommended the above mentioned treatment options. Which one would be a safe and effective option in terms of my skin tone and preventing permanent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation on my tan skin? Treatment time is not an issue. I am 23 years old, no significant hormonal imbalances. Acne is affecting forehead, cheeks and chin. Have been on accutane at age 18, however acne relapsed after a few years.

Laser treatment for severe acne vulgaris in an Indian patient

Patients with dark skin must be exceedingly wary of laser treatment for any condition except in the most expert hands as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation is often the undesirable outcome of such treatment.  There are many non laser choices such as Accutane, topical retinoids and antibiotics that will correct the problem without the risk of pigmentary change.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

(Levulan Blue Light Therapy) vs. (Laser Genesis + Chemical Peels) for acne and pitted scarring on Indian skin?

If still using Accutane can not recommend any skin damaging therapies because of potential increased scarring.

Acne and Best Treatment

It is first most important to assess the reason for your acne.  It sounds as if you may need a second round of Accutane.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist to assess your skin.  It may be necessary to have chemical peels afterwards to heal those pigmented marks.  Best, Dr. Green