When can I apply oils or lotion to my scalp after FUE?

I had an FUE of 3,000 grafts done over two sessions, a week ago. My scalp is starting to get crispy. When can I begin to apply oil or lotion to my head to speed up the scab removal? Is there anything else I can do help get rid of the scabs quicker? My doctor advised me not to massaging until day 10 post op. Thanks for you help!

You can apply lotion but it is best to ask your surgeon if you have concerns.

You can apply lotion but it is best to ask your surgeon if you have concerns.  Many doctors have their own specific post operative care. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft FUE

Thank you for your question, jam35. Our patients are able to resume normal activity one day after the procedure. You should apply lotions to your head, but it is best you consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your procedure to learn which applications they prefer.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

When is a good time to return to normal activity after #hairtransplant

You need to make sure you are completely healed to return to your normal routine.  Usually after about 10-14 days is when is safe, but do make sure you follow your doctor's advise.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

When can oils or lotion be applied after scalp hair transplantation

jam35,

Follow your surgeons advice as to how to care for your scalp. In my practice, we instruct patients to come in the next day for a hair shampoo. Patients are given full instructions on how to care for their transplant again. Daily hair shampooing is advised with gentle application of shampoo lather. Up and down gentle application is recommended but no sideways motion as this can dislodge grafts. Antibiotic ointment can be applied after the third day to help accelerate healing and prevent scab formation.

Bernardino Arocha, MD, FISHRS
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

2 weeks since surgery

If all of the crusts are off and the scalp is clean, you can apply lotion.  An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabbing post op

Every surgeon has different views on how do deal with the scabbing. You need to contact your surgeon for his or her protocols for precisely what to do when then scalp gets crispy.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist