How long after tummy tuck can you take a bath?

Hygiene after TT

Hello. Thanks for the question. You should be able to shower 24 hours after a tummy tuck without any problems. I would not recommend immersion in a bath tub for long periods of time if you have drains. 

Be well

Dr. B

Tummy Tuck

Hello dear, thanks for your question, After a tummy tuck procedure, you have to wait until your doctor removes your drainage, then you should follow up her/his recommendation about when, after the drain comes out, you can do it, every surgeon has their standars and ways to do different process

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Bathing post Tummy-tuck

Thank you for your question.  Each plastic surgeon has their own post-operative protocol depending on how they close their incision, what type of dressing they use, and if they have drains in place.  I let my patients shower the same day as surgery if they want but ask that they wait until they have fully healed (1 month) before taking a bath.  Best of luck!

How long after a tummy tuck can you take a bath?

I recommend all of my patients to take a shower 48 hours after surgery, even with the drain in place.  I leave the steri-strips on for 2 weeks, and then remove.  However, always follow your plastic surgeon's protocol for their post operative instructions.  It is always good to keep a surgical incision clean, and dry.  I hope this helped.  Best wishes

4 weeks

After a tummy tuck you can take a bath after 4 weeks.  You may shower the next day after surgery.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I do agree also, if the wound is not impermeable enough do not take a shower, just clean yourself with a sponge with some assistance, skin does have its normal bacterial flora and the tap water is not sterile either so go on the safe way and with until it looks healed, that can take sometimes up to 5 days, for a bath I also recommend waiting 3-4 weeks when drains are out and the wound is more matured and completely impermeable.

Good question. I let my patients shower 2 days after a tummy tuck with their drains in place. Regarding a bath, I want all their steri strips off with no residual scabbing present prior to bathing. On average, I would say this is three to four weeks.

I allow my patients to get into the shower at 48 hours postop, and into a bath 3-4 weeks if the incision is healed. Just a word of caution, your abdominal skin is still numb and be careful not to injure your skin with the hot water.

Every surgeon has different recommendation

All surgeons approach these issues differently. You should follow your surgeon's guidelines.  In my practice patients can take bath after 3 weeks of surgery as long as they are healed. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy Tuck and Aftercare

I generally allow my patient to shower 48 hours after surgery, even with the drains.  

As far as taking a bath where the incisions are immersed, I generally would like my patients to wait about 4 weeks before doing that, that includes going into a pool as well.

Good luck.  Make sure your discuss this with your plastic surgeon as every patient is different and every surgeon has their own protocol.

Farbod Esmailian, MD