At what age should you start considering facelift. I am 51 years old and wondering should i wait or do a facelift now.

Facelift is done when it is needed

It is need and not the age that determines the timing of facelift.  If your mirror demonstrates a need to have facial rejuvenation you should proceed now.    

What age for a facelift

As other doctors have indicated, there is no right or wrong age for a facelift. However, I find that patients in their early 50s tend to make excellent candidates because they still have good elasticity to their skin. That is all important for maintaining the result long term.  Smokers and people with a lot of sun damage tend to have accelerated aging and for them the early 40s may be the best time.  The exact technique will vary from patient to patient, and this will be discussed during your consultation. Best of luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Time fir a facelift?

While looking in a mirror, place your hands against your chekks and pull upwards and backwards. If you like the difference, make an appointment with a facelift surgeon.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift is Rejuvenation: Optimal Timing for a Lift

The optimal or best time to have or consider a facelift is when you view yourself in a mirror and see a face that no longer fits well with your energy level or how you view yourself.  

A Facelift lifts the fallen cheek, will smooth and tighten the jaw, neck skin and muscles.  A truly natural Facelift does not pull or deform the face but, rather, rejuvenates in a manner that is natural appearing and maintains your personal identity.  This requires time, a great deal of effort and artistry. Facelifts that rely upon pulling the tissues up with strings or threads or do not focus upon neck rejuvenation are less effective and often do not appear natural. Mini-facelifts or neck lifts do not address the entire facial aging problem. A Facelift which targets the neck, jawline and cheeks creates harmony and balance among the various facial components and; thus, creates a radiant appearance. 

So when should you consider a Facelift? 

Usually, the signs of aging creep up upon us, starting in the late 40s.  However, there are some individuals that with significant weight loss or congenital predisposition require a Facelift earlier.  

Liquid Facelifts utilize facial fillers, such as Radiesse and Voluma to lift and contour the mid-face without surgery.  These wonderful products, are comparable with the tissues of the face, replace volume loss that occurs in all faces over time.  Facial fillers are not a substitute for a Facelift but can often postpone the need for one, especially if the main concern is volume loss rather than sagging skin. 

However, when the jaw-line shows jowls or the neck tissues sag it is time to consider a surgical Facelift.  The scars are well hidden in the hairline and are placed along the ear contour to further reduce their visibility. When outpatient surgery(go home the same day) is performed with care and precision  patients experience hardly any discomfort.  The object is not to pull the face up, which distorts the mouth and facial appearance, but to gently lift, contour and smooth out all areas that require a natural revitalization.  

The final answer regarding should one wait to have a facelift is centered upon if you are psychologically prepared to have surgery and if you demonstrate characteristics of lax facial tissues.  A Facelift is definitively an uplifting experience that gives lasting pleasure.

Changes in Your Face Matter — Not Your Age

There is not one best age for a facelift. I perform many procedures for patients in their forties, and occasionally in their thirties if they have significant aging changes from weight loss, acne, or other reasons. I have also performed facelifts for many patients in their eighties, and even two in their early nineties. I do find that patients having surgery when aging changes are present but not pronounced have better results 12 to 15 years later than a patient with severe skin laxity and decreased skin elasticity.

No Perfect Age for Facelift

There's no perfect age to undergo facelift surgery. Your eligibility for surgery is determined by the signs of aging present on your face, not your chronological age. An in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can give you a definite answer. In the meantime, if you've noticed significant sagging and laxity around your jawline, chin, or neck, you're likely a good candidate. I wish you luck in your decision. 

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Many Patients Get Facelifts in Their 40s

Without a photo or personal consultation, it isn't possible to offer advice about whether you would be a good candidate for a facelift. I can say that there are some people who can benefit from a facelift at 51. Age isn't the primary factor; rather, it's the extent of sagging tissue. I suggest consulting with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your specific concerns. It's possible that nonsurgical treatments may be the best path for now, but you must consider the ongoing maintenance costs versus the one-time price of surgery. 

No ideal age

There's really no ideal age to have a facelift. Some patients would rather have the surgery at a younger age so they have many years to enjoy the results. Others really want a more dramatic change and wait until their 60's or even sometimes their 70's. It really depends on the individual and the most important thing would be to seek consultation with a very reputable facial rejuvenation specialist who can give you an honest opinion.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appearance and condition of tissues best determine timing for consideration of facelift and other facial rejuvenation procedures.  Facelift candidates may be (although infrequently) under 40 and as old as 90 so at 51 you are certainly among those that often consider and obtain facelift surgery.  A consultation with an experienced facelift surgeon will help you decide if it is time.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

At what age should you start considering facelift.

Facelift surgery is most effective for treating saggy jowls and loose skin especially in the chin and neck region. These are common occurrences with the aging process. These changes also do not occur at any particular age. I have performed first facelifts on patients in their 30s and others don't require a facelift until they are in their 60s. If you are looking in a mirror and using your hands to pull your jowls up back towards your ears, you may be a candidate. An experienced surgeon will inform you about all aspects of the surgery including expected results and also how long you as an individual would be expected to keep those results.