Drooping of corners of the mouth after a Facelift. Any suggestions? (photos)

Had a facelife 16 weeks ago. During my healing process I noticed that my corners of my mouth are drooping, giving me a sad look. My corners of my mouth naturally were straight before the surgery; however, I had skin that drooped around my mouth, which my surgeon said would be taken care of. Could this be due to the surgery - extra pulling because I also had my muscle bands pulled back as well or did the doctor not pull enough back during the initial surgery?

Facelift 4 Months Ago

A before picture to assess the degree of correction would be helpful.  In a properly performed facelift, improvement in the marionette lines is frequently seen due to transmission of force through the SMAS.  However, altering the position of the corner of the mouth is not a part of the procedure.  I would suggest use of a filler like Radiesse or Juvederm to help fill and subsequently lift this area. A very small amount of Botox injected into the Depressor Anguli Oris (DAO) muscles can also be of some benefit.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider Nonsurgical Treatments

Without seeing a "before" photo it is difficult to say whether the appearance of the corners of your mouth have been affected by the facelift. As others have said, a facelift typically doesn't address these areas. Injectable fillers are often a good way to provide a slight lift to the corners of the mouth and add volume to marionette lines. I think this approach, combined with what appears to be a good result from your facelift, will give you the look you desire.

Filler Options

Thank you for your question. It seems you could benefit from dermal filler injections at the corners of your mouth. With the right filler, such as Juvederm or Restylane, it is possible to turn the corners of your mouth upward as well as improve the marionette lines. A facelift often does not address the corners of the mouth and fillers are a nice option to get the results you are looking for. Good luck to you!

John S. Lee, MD

Facelift corner of mouth drooping

The actual corner of the mouth is not addressed with a facelift.  Dissection all the way to the corner of the mouth can many times cause temporary paralysis of the peri-oral area.  A far better alternative is injectable fillers.  Contrary to popular thought, fillers are NOT a replacement to a facelift.  They are an adjunct.  A facelift addresses the structure such as the neck, the jawline, or the mid face.  Fillers can ADD to the result of a facelift with additional volume in areas such as the corner of the mouth.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corners of the Mouth

Thank you for your question.  While the corners of the mouth typically aren't addressed with a facelift, the soft tissues surrounding and overlying the corners will be lifted.  If there is a pre-operative down turning of the corners, they can still be down turned post-operatively.  This can be corrected with soft tissue fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as only he/she knows exactly what happened during your surgery.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photo. It is difficult to answer your question without having any preop photos to compare with. However, you may benefit from fillers and or toxins such as Botox, Xeomin, or Dysport. It is best to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Drooping at the corner of the mouth after facelift

A few thoughts. The mouth drooping may have been there before the lift,and now with your cheeks elevated, it's more apparent. You may have lost weight after the lift and this could worsen the groove. Your mid face may not have been lifted during your surgery. Your easiest treatment option is to have injectable fillers placed. Speak to your surgeon.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping Corners of the Mouth

Hi Francine, if you have already discussed this issue with your surgeon and have determined that this is as good as it's going to get with surgery, you may want to consider dermal fillers or even Botox (Dysport).  We commonly treat the marionette lines with Restylane, Lyft or Radiesse, adding volume to the indentations at the corner of the mouth. We can also help change the shape of the corners of the mouth by relaxing a muscle group that pulls downward using Dysport, a competitor to Botox.  To see an example of a mouth frown that was treated in this manner, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

POST FACELIFT CONCERNS

Dear francinemags, I would suggest seeing your surgeon for a follow up appointment and discuss your concerns. I would ask to see your pre-operative photographs and compare those side by side with your current results and then discuss the differences you see. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Droopy corners of the mouth

No face lift will address the area around the mouth, i.e. the lips and the chin, per se. Pre-op photos would be helpful to determine how much of those creases were present beforehand. At this point, fillers would be your best option knowing that they won't last as long due to the creasing that occurs with smiling.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon